SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fleurs_gardener

I'm learning my lesson

fleurs_gardener
16 years ago

Hi to everyone,

I've posted here before and I really appreciated all the comments received.

I've been doing relatively well in the last couple of months in regards to my oldest SD with whom I have nothing in common except that I have been with her father for the last 18 yers (19 in August. How did I do it!!!!)

In April, after spending a week completly alone up at the lake, I had made the firm committement to myself that I would DISENGAGE from my oldest SD. I have put in practice everything I believe is good for my health, my relationship with DH, etc. etc. I have tried really, really hard to diminish the resentment i have towards this SD.

A few weeks ago, DH and I went to a small family gathering where all the children would be, including the SD who recently broke up her family by leaving her husband, taking the kids out of school and moving back in with her mother. She (27 yrs old) is not working and enjoys her days off being home alone playing on the computer all day while we are all getting up in the morning to go to work.

While being there, i happened to have a talk with this SD's grandmother with whom i have always gotten along. I have never, never in 18 yers said a wrong word about this SD to anybody in the family, that I didn't agree with her way of living, decisions, etc. etc. Well, while taling with the grandmother, out of the blues, she told me what she thought of her granddaughter, my SD. I couldn't believe it! I just couldn't believe what i was hearing! She said exactly the same things I think about the SD - irresponsible, trying to fool all of us with her decisions, etc. etc. All this time, I always thought i must be crazy for thinking these things about this SD.

She has two young daughters whom we dearly love. I feel very sorry for these two young girls, but I've learnt my lesson in regards to them also.

The oldest child (9 yres old) loves to visit us. I asked her one day - have you been riding your bicycle. No she replied. It's broken!

I was so hurt for her. How can a kid enjoy summer without a bicycle! I thought why isn't your mother making plans to fix your bike, why isn't your father doing something about it! I was so mad that I talked to DH about the bicycle. But i did say to him. "" Look, i really don't think it is up to us to get her a bike. Her mother is going out to movies, buying clothes, going out to play pool, getting her hair cut. I think she should look into getting her daughter's bike fixed!"

That was useless of me to tell him that. Of course DH is now rushing out, trying to fix a bike we already have at home, buying stuff for the bike etc. I keep telling myself - the child will be happy, thanks to her grand father and thanks to me who talked to him about the situation and altought i am very happy that the child will get a bicycle this summer, I've learnt my lesson to keep my mouth shut and not tell DH everything.Otherwise, i know he will always always try to get for these children what I believe is the responsibility of her parents. Imagine when this child says ...i want a car?

Thank you for reading my post. I am so upset once again for the irresponsibility this SD is showing towards this one child!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996