SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

My rebuilt house - some lessons to learn

lkplatow
14 years ago

About 4 years ago, I started posting here because we were having a strange musty odor in the rooms of our then-6-year-old house. At the time, there were many regulars here who helped us diagnose the problems and figure out how to get them fixed.

Over $150K in repairs and one lawsuit later (NONE of which was covered by insurance or paid for by the lawsuit), our story is finally over and I just finished documenting the last of it. I thought I'd return to post it here in case there was still anyone left from the crew that helped me back then (I think maybe allison, worthy, mighty_anvil, and suzysnowflake might still be around?). Anyhow, to everyone from back then, thanks so much for helping me get through this - I don't know how we would have made it if it weren't for the kind internet folks who volunteered their time and expertise and offered up consoling words and prayers.

And for all you new folks, there are a LOT of lessons to be learned from my story -- basically, everything that could be done wrong with the exterior of my house was done wrong -- our custom-built dream house looked beautiful but it was a ticking time bomb from the day the first owners moved in.

Our story is long and not for the faint-of-heart, but if you want to make sure you're building a house that's still going to be standing in 20 years, you'd be well served to read it.

Thanks and good luck with your builds!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our defective house....

Comments (4)