SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rara11_gw

detached, but how to cope with rude 'silence'?

rara11
20 years ago

Please read the post entitled, "troubled stepdaughter, eroding marriage", which I posted here on April 3 and everyone was so very helpful. I have gone back several times to read the replies to my post. Anyway, I have a question. I have tried as hard as I can to detach from this situation. For example, I did not go to Ireland to visit --where my SD was this past semester--her 2 siblings and my husband went. My husband wanted me to go but understood as much as he could. MY SD was angry I didn't go I think , but she did not want me there!! !I think her siblings really hate that I didn't go even though they'd rather I didn't. No one ever seems to think about my SD's destructive, selfish behavior towards me. Many of my SD's relatives seem to be quite aware of how difficult she is and without saying much, I feel that they understand my detachment. My new problem is--my older SD is 26 and we have always gotten along fairly well, and she is usually nice and respectful, but she can be "catty" at times, and there is still awkwardness. I know that her sister drives her crazy andthat she is very frustrated by her behavior, etc. But the family loyalty is there and they all defend my younger SD no matter what (mostly her siblings). They treat her like a helpless princess, it is pathetic! Well, here is my main question: whenever any of his kids call here most of the time there is a silence whan I answer the phone. Disappointment! It feels awful. I have tried to just bear with it, what else can I do? The silence has improved with the older 2. But lately my older SD is actually EXTENDING her silences on the phone. We have caller ID so I know it'sher. Yesterday the silence was very long I said hello 3 times. I know I sounded annoyed by the third hello! She then was friendly, but I am at my wit's end with this silence business. It is so RUDE. Obviously she wants it to bother me or hurt me. (My stepchildren are never direct to themselves or anyone else. They all hide everything or talk around issues --"oh I never did that!" Any advice from you strong women out there on how to deal with this? I always try to be friendly but am tempted to just say "oh, I'll get your father" and that's it. I will now detach further. Just when I thought my older SD was getting much better with me. (The younger SD is coming home soon for the summer and I dread it.) You guys are great! Thanks for the help. I don't know how I do this sometimes.

Comments (11)