SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ceph_gw

Kids and anger management - success story - thanks all!

ceph
16 years ago

So most of you have heard about A__'s recent trouble with fighting and such...

He and I have talked a LOT lately about how to deal with it when you get upset or angry. His mom and dad have talked with him too, but he seems to be most relaxed about it when talking with me, so that's OK, we just all keep each other posted on talks and progress (he clams up when talking to FDH about emotions, and cries too hard to talk when he talks to BM about it - I think maybe I'm "safe" because I'm sort of a neutral party?)

So, we talked about that awesome big red balloon idea and he took quite a shine to that. He was mad the next day and he exasperatedly said "BIG RED BALLOON!"

We also talked about how it's really important to talk to someone that you're upset with, because it helps it get better. but if it's hard to talk to the person you're upset with, you can ask someone else for help (like if he's mad at me, he can talk to dad, or if he's mad at mom, he can talk to Papa, etc) and they'll help him work it out. Well, a few days later he went up FDH and said "It makes me mad when you don't want to play soccer with me because that's what I like to do with you and then I think you don't want me around if you don't want to have fun with me." He said it calmly, without getting angry, he just explained his feelings! I leaped up from the couch and gave him a great big hug for talking about his feelings so calmly, and then FDH played soccer with him.

We also talked a lot about retaliation, and that even if someone does something to you, you don't have to do something back. We brainstormed other things to do instead, and came up with telling them not to, telling a teacher or coach, walking away, asking someone to switch spots in line, etc. So he was at soccer practice and was crouched down tying his shoe, when another boy came up and kicked his ball at A__. A__ looked up and said "Stop it!". The kid did it again, A__ repeated himself and rotated so that his back was to the kid while he continued to tie his shoe. I was so proud of him!! We had a high five and talked about how great that was afterwards and he got to choose between a Blizzard and a book as a reward for that one! (He chose the book)

So, just wanted to share the success story and say thanks for everybody's great ideas and awesome help!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor