SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_137280

Ideas for laundry room/pantry (pics)

User
12 years ago

I'm hoping for ideas on finishing our laundry room and pantry. I'd like to paint or paper the walls to give it more oomph and make it a more pleasant spot. It's a dark room unless the light is on, so bright colors would seem to be the right way to go to create a cheerful atmosphere. I've included a picture of the kitchen (the pantry is off the kitchen, separated by a wall with a pocket door). I've been thinking I could go with beadboard wainscoting (using Graham and Brown BB wallpaper) and then either paint or paper above, but don't have a clear idea of what I want.

Here's the pantry/laundry room:

View in from back hall:

View in from kitchen:

Folding table,shelves and freezer in nook

And the kitchen:

Also, we still haven't figured out a good spot for hanging clothes as they come out of the dryer. As you can see, space is at a premium; the room is small with an 8' ceiling. Our current method of hanging things doesn't work well for 2 reasons: the hangers fall off the shelf rail easily and the clothes that are hanging block the folding table. All I can think of doing would be to hang some type of rail or bar from the ceiling down by the freezer. That would allow for temporary clothes hanging but keep the space free otherwise. My DH doesn't like this idea; he thinks we should just add more molding to the top of the shelf so the hangers have more to grip onto and won't fall off. I don't like this because it kills half the folding table. Does anyone have ideas on how to fit in a 2-3 foot rail for the hangers?

Here's how we currently hang clothes; DH's idea is to just fix this so the hangers don't fall off:

My thought is to put a bar or rod coming down from the ceiling over here so the I have full use of the folding table--his objection is that won't look good and will be more work.

I'm thinking there must be a better way to handle this--I've looked online at the Container Store, etc. for ideas but am not coming up with anything I like that will be really functional. Any suggestions?

Comments (20)