SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
argon_gw

Wife and daughter...

argon
17 years ago

Man I'm glad that I found this site..Lot's of good information on here.

I am a remarried husband with a 14yr. old daughter that lives with us. She makes good grades in school and iis involved in lots of extracurricular activities such as softball, cheerleading and works full time during the summer. She is fairly responsible but is showing tendancies of lying about where she is or is going and has had several confrontations with my wife whom I love dearly. She is manipulative as well. I have talked to my daughter about my wife's role in this family and that my wife and I will discuss everything and come to an agreement so sidestepping her is not a good choice. My daughter has some of the same traits as her mother (lying, manipulative, backstabbing, etc) and this drives my wife nuts ot the point that I think she punishes her excessively for an issue becasue she despises the traits in her. My wife thinks every mistake my daughter makes is directed at causing her pain I try to explain that she is 14 and will grow out of this if we hold her accountable while showing her love but my wife is to the point of not having anything to do with her.

I do understand her frustration as she has a 17 yr. old son that is living with us that I had similar run ins with over the years. He is a pathologic liar and struggles with authority (I understand that many 17 yr olds have this issue).

I finally realized (through my wifes help) that I needed to pick my battles with him and our relationship has gotten much better. How then do I help my wife and daughter through this? She is picking every battle as a major issue due to her frustration right now and my daughter feels as though she can do nothing right and is always in trouble. Sometimes I feel like I should let them sort it out on their own as being an intermediary seems to get me into hot water with one or both. I am looking for them to bond and not push each other away.I love my wife and my daughter and want them to have a good relationship and also improve the relationship with my wife. I have a view of how this marriage will be different than my first but with these issues, it is difficult to get things on track. So you all know my stance is that divorce is NOT an option for either of us. My commitment is firm to my wife and I want to take steps to make our marriage more fulfilling for everyone in our family. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022