SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mother2008

Why won't he understand?

mother2008
15 years ago

I am in a real dilemma. I separated from my husband 9 months ago and have been working thru some serious issues. One major issue remains and I need to know if anyone has been thru anything similar and what did you do. My 23 SS frightens me to no end and my husband is aware of that. I do not want SS anywhere near me or my daughters, but hubby doesn't understand and points all problems to me. The SS refuses to work, mooches off of grandparents and his dad every day. (They all allow this saying that they can't let the "kid" go hungry) Very disrespectful to all. Lots of very bad behavior. I told his dad that I will not move back in with dad unless he keeps his son away from me. I do not feel safe around him and do not feel I owe him anything, including food everyday because he refuses to support himself. He dropped out of high school and has no plans to get his GED. Of course, husband feels I'm out of line. This isn't my kid and I feel absolutely no obligation to take care of an adult child who won't make any effort to take care of himself. My husband has promised me over and over for the past 3-4 years that he isn't tolerating his sons behavior, when in fact, that is exactly what he is doing. This is also the SS that did lewd things to me when his dad and I first got married. Of course, somehow, my husband doesn't believe his son could do anything I've said he did to me. I am on the verge on telling husband I cannot stay with him. Our counselor has said to my husband over and over that he has to protect me from his son at all costs. This is a very big 23yo and eats an enormous amount of food. We do not have the means to support him and it's taking an enormous amount out of our income to purchase the additional food he requires. I told my husband that if SS was working and couldn't afford to be on his own, but contributed something towards his keep, I could understand. The SS has money to go drinking and go to concerts, so why can't he give his dad money to pay for some of his food? Obviously, there's much more to this than food, but I cannot be a part of a marriage where so much abuse by the SS has occured and everyone expect me to look the other way.

Has anyone gone thru anything similar and did you walk away from the whole thing?

Comments (13)