SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yelad_gw

Why Won't Anyone Fix Windows, Only Replace?

yelad
18 years ago

I live in a house built in the 1930's and have the original casement windows, most of which are in excellent condition.

There are 2 or 3 that leak, but appear structurally sound. I had one carpenter come out and look at them, and he came up with some solutions that sounded great. Unfortunately, it turned out he wasn't properly licensed, and we didn't want to have him working on our house, though he seemed very competent and was highly recommended.

Since then, I have had a few others look at the windows. All of them have come back with bids to REPLACE the leaky windows, and not repair them. When I ask them to repair them, they tell me they are too busy and don't want to do that.

Why is that? I understand the replacement window business is very lucrative and it may be easier to replace them, but are there other reasons that could be involved? Are they afraid to work on an older house? I'm actually willing to pay more to keep my original, beautiful windows than to replace them, and they still won't do it! Argh...

Comments (11)