SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jakabedy_gw

help me understand a man who won't mount the tv on the wall!

jakabedy
15 years ago

DH is the biggest techno goober around. We have reorganized the whole music/workout room and gotten him a flat-screen TV for the room. He has been researching wireless transmitters so he (1) doesn't have to run cable to that room and (2) can control the Tivo from the workout room and therefore watch all the cable channels in there. (He has actually just ordered this gizmo -- with a free secondary gizmoe that will allow you to turn off a light with the remote -- as I have been typing this post).

His plan is to put the TV on top of a music cabinet we have in that room. The problem, as I see it: said cabinet is about 4' tall and about 14" square and this is a 26" TV. The TV will hang off the edge of this cabinet, right by the door. I am terrified that as we schlep instruments in and out of this room that we will knock the TV off the cabinet. Also, if the TV is on that wall, it has to plug into the outlet that is controlled by the wall switch -- not the end of the world, but not optimal.

My idea (and a brilliant one if I say so myself) is to wall mount the TV on one of those articulating mounts on the other side of the room, above the piano/keyboard. That way it could be seen while sitting at the keyboard or while practicing an instrument (he is learning Bassoon and has some DVDs for it). He could then swing the TV out to see it from the exercise bike.

But DH is just opposed to wall mounting it -- "I just don't really want to do that." I just don't get it. Isn't an articulating wall mount something that should make any man drool? Isn't the idea of the wall mount half the reason guys want to buy these things?

I have next week off before I start my new job. I am actually considering mounting the doggone thing myself. If he doesn't like it, he can take it down.

Help me. What am I doing wrong here?

Comments (11)