SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolinacraftymama

Holiday crafting

carolinacraftymama
19 years ago

I was curious to find out what types of crafting others do for the holidays and do you make your gifts that you give out, if so what types of crafts do you give????

Comments (34)

• socks
    19 years ago

I'm thinking of crocheting an afghan for my neighbor.

Last year I made candied pecans.

Other than that, my crafts aren't really giftable, if you
    know what I mean!!

• User
    19 years ago

I bake and make trays/dishes/tins filled with goodies...fruit breads (banana, pumpkin etc.) cookies, sugared nuts and candies.

I started doing this a few years ago for some elderly neighbors and it "kind of" escalated, now everyone who is a receipient asks me "when are you going to start baking?"

It is personal...Tasty...and since I like to bake it brings me pleasure to see people enjoy my efforts.

Linda

• Related Discussions

A Holiday Craft using Milkweed Fluff

Q

Comments (4)
    I have one that I made 3 years ago-still looks good. I gave them out that year to some of my butterfly friends and I included a package of swamp milk weed seeds.
    ...See More

Keepsake holiday crafts for kids

Q

Comments (2)
    I still have the recipe book my daughter (37 years old now) and her classmates made in school. Each child was told to write down a recipe (from memory)and then the teacher put them all together into a book for each child to take home. My granddaughter and I made a memory book for her while she was visiting with us after Christmas. Wal-Mart has the little 6 x 8 books. You could get stickers and embellisments and the children could bring their own photos to use. She finished one and wants to start another the next time she is here...
    ...See More

BHG Holiday & Crafts Mag

Q

Comments (2)
    It does have some neat things in it! I love the paper mache ornaments - the ones that you "sculpt" yourself with Celluclay. I have never tried that, but I love the look. I have a bag of the Celluclay that I keep thinking I should use sometime. It seemed that there used to be so many cute ideas in the mags, but now they are all the same. Maybe it is just me. This one was a great one though!
    ...See More

does anyone do holiday craft shows

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Tanya, I think Annielu does craft shows, and Gail sells sometimes too. Maybe they will see this and jump in here to chat with you. There are two or three people on the crafts forum who have been doing shows too. Sorry your show did not do well, maybe if the weather had been better. I'm sure people appreciate your work, and hopefully you will have better luck next time. Luvs
    ...See More
  • wichitarick
    19 years ago

hi, we have been doing various things for about 2 yrs it started out because we were broke and lived next to a ceramic shop we bought bisque angel tree ornaments and craft paint and painted 25 tree ornaments and used xmas napkins for wrapping paper since then my wife crostiched precious moments ornament and I made the frames from scrap pvc . I made a 3 tier choclate cheesecake for my father in law and decorated with holly made from gumdrops .
    I made my dad a adirondack bench from oak crating from work 2 yrs ago I made my father in law a similar bench .
    For the last cpl of yrs I have baked from dec. 1 till xmas eve making fruit breads and freezing them to give to neighbors co workers etc.this yr I,m blessed wiiith pecans from my neighbors yd. and blackberrys and elderberrys from my yard for fruit breads .
    For the last 3 yrs my wife has been sewing heavily and has produced some nice stuff we made (I cut)a king sized quilt with scrap upholstery fabric . and made my sister a night gown from flannel then last yr was the big one she got a free pattern from michaels for a purse and made 9 last yr for gifts and has since sold a few , last yr we made lap robes from fleece plus the purses plus the baking whew think I will have a shorter list this yr.
    she just reminded me she has fleece in rt 66 and flannel in rt 66 for a quilt for my father in laws truck (he,s a trucker )and wer,e making more purses .
    just thought of another one my friends made 4 dozen qt,s of cookie mix jars whew again we have made more than this but I will just keep remembering and yacking ,has to end somewhere ,am going to make 3 award winning cheesecakes for my work this yr. happy holidays Rick

• loganhogan
    19 years ago

I thought it was neat that most of us "craft" some type of food items as well. Last yr I lucked up and found some Ohio state Fabric (not easy in central Alabama) and made my father-in-law a quilt, made purses for a lot of folks, college moffit blankets for cousins, and a coffee/cappuciano mix, I also make christmas ornaments,etc for gifts too . This year I'll do much of the same different blankets, different purses and different food mixes. I'm also thinking of doing Chocolate Carmel Corn for halloween for coworkers.
    Susan

• toomuchglass
    19 years ago

This is the first year I'm thinking of crafting stuff to give out as gifts. Our family has gotten to the point that everyone has everything - and it's more of a chore to find something that they DON'T have. That's not the true Christmas spirit .
    Even though it's winter - I'm thinking of designing each family a garden stone with their name on it -- or some type of decoration. I hope that goes over good .... that's so much better than "store bought" stuff !!

• faltered
    19 years ago

This is also the first year I will be making some gifts to give. I'm going to sew some of those aromatherapy hot pads that are filled with rice and scents. I'm also going to make some sachets for the women. I ordered a chocolate candy making set, so I'm hoping to make some candies for people as gifts. Then, I'm going to make some gifts in a jar mixes- mostly cookies, maybe some brownies too.

That's it for this year. If all goes well, I hope to do some more for next.

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

• User
    19 years ago

I was thinking today that I will make each of my children a "Spirit Jar"...we have a store here called Big Fun, with all those old novelty toys...I figure I could buy things to put on the jar that pertain to each child..sports novelties etc....

Linda

• carolinacraftymama
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I also do alot of baking during the holidays for family and friends, this year for the women in the family, am putting together a "Treasure box" I have these big boxes with lids and hasp on it made of wood, painted them, crackled them, then decopage something to do with each ones personal taste, on the inside, I have attached batting and material to match whatever is decopaged on the outside, then I put toiletries,hankerchiefs,perfume,stationary and pen as well as a journal. for the men in my family, FOOD and a wooden sign with a saying about their hobby. children in the family are each getting a woon box, with the slide top, on the top, I have made it a chalk board(chalk inside) each box is painted to match the age and sex. On the inside, there will be goodies, puzzle, coloring book, crayons(all for the younger group(under 10) over ten will have, things like a something crafty to make, goodies,bushes,combs. I truely enjoy making things for my family all year long, but especially at the holidays.

• carofl93
    19 years ago

I recently got back into quilting and am making rag quilts for family members. The rag quits are couch sized...just right for snuggling in front of the TV and only take about 2 hours to make. I make some truly sinful pumpkin cookies and plates of good old homemade holiday goodies for the neighbors and my hubby's co-workers.

• junknstuf
    19 years ago

My daughter's family are big NASCAR (Earnhardt & jr. fans. I'm making red & black quilts w/#3 & #8 on them for GS & step GS. Four yr old GS is Tony Stewart fan so he gets orange & white w/# 20 on it. I've also made a windchime last yr for brother out of copper drum cymbal & old silverware. Made sis a bird house on a pedistal from a dining table leg. Itstood 3' tall. Mom got my first mosaiced bb for mother's day & she shows it to everyone. That's just an little of what I do.I'm a poor, cheap B----.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    19 years ago

Linda, how big are the jars that you plan to use and what kinds of things will you put in them? Your idea sounds interesting!

• scarlett2001
    19 years ago

This year we made wine- turned out pretty good, for the first try. 7 gallons, so I'm sure we will give some of it away. (The grapes were free.)

• des_arc_ya_ya
    19 years ago

Scarlett is my new best friend..... ROFLMBO

• User
    19 years ago

I saw the Spirit Jars online...basically it is like a Crock Jug...spread DAP on the outside and stick little items into the DAP.

Here is the site:
    http://www.creatinghomedecor.com/spiritjar.htm

• Carol_from_ny
    19 years ago

In the past I've done cookies in a jar, soup in a jar. I've made scented waxed pinecone fireplace starters and quilts.
    This year I may give a few mosaic trays I've done.

• Craftybrat
    19 years ago

I make most of my gifts and have been for the last 5-6 yrs. I have made fairy houses(tree house doll houses) and lap robs and warm jammies also tons of cookies and breads and cakes and candies. This year it is jam and apple cidar (all our fruit trees went a little nuts this year!)I also am making a few simple jackets and some fun tote bags. I have made tons of ornaments and a few quilts. One year I made a bunch of ceramic bowls and filled them with old time candies. I also like to give books, so I have to often find fun ways to give them. Kids get them in bedtime packages, jammies and hot cocoa mixes and warm socks and a good book. Grown ups may get the samething, but some get wine instead of cocoa. I made teacup bird feeders for mom and sis and gave them bags of bird seed first ....boy did they have funny looks on their faces when they opened their fancy boxes only to find a bag of bird seed. I made fishing vests for a couple guys last year and stuffed all those !@#$ pockets with little trinckets and fast food toys. I am NOT baking this year last year I made tons of brownies and chocolate chip cookies ...and gained 5 pounds!!! The family grew by 3 people this year so need to think of more 'stuff'

• momsgirl2
    19 years ago

hi
    i have been finding ladies linen dyed shoes at the dump.so i have decorated them with jewels ,ribbons ,and lace,place a clear plastic in the shoes then i place a small light thingy that i get from the dollar tree.they are now night lites.

• momsgirl2
    19 years ago

hi
    i also found some patent leather little girl shoes ;glued jewels that i took off of old shirts and gave the shoes to little freinds for dressup.cut some waist bands of off colorful shorts and skirts added gold or fancy buttons,or costume jewels and made wonder-woman type head gear.or you could take plastic drink bottles and put them inside fancy ladies slippers and plant flowers .ideas are endless.

• hallngarden
    19 years ago

Took a moment away from my Christmas projects. I am making throws for each family member using my old sweaters and cutting them into squares. On the reverse side I line with material patterns that interest each person, Nascar, flowers, bible verses, amazing what materials are in the cloth stores. The sweaters don't ravel as I sew the edges after cutting. Also knitting several sweaters, hats, scarves. Most of my hypertufa is already made and I plant succulents in these for gifts. No quilts this year, made about 6 last years for Christmas. You can tell that I am never without a project. I hardly put down an item before I finish. I am one of your "golden oldies" and its important to me that I leave my family with items that I handcrafted. My quilts passed from my great grandmother have a very special place in my heart. Anything made with your hands is a labor of love. When I am in thrift stores I buy any quilts, crochet, or handknit that I find. It should be loved. I look at each stitch and think of the heart of the person that was making it for someone special. I try to have everything ready by November and have it wrapped and ready to go. So good to read from the posting that so many of you take the time to show your love with cooking and handcraft items. Better get back to the sweater in my lap. Hallngarden

• faltered
    19 years ago

Hallngarden: You are so right! There is so much love that goes into each and every handmade gift.

• kliebengood
    19 years ago

Wow, you all make lots of stuff.
    Last year I gave rock candy wrapped in blue canning jars with zinc lids, tied with a homespun bow. I have a quilt group and its hard to come up with something nice for each of them that doesn't cost too much. My sons and hubby each got flannel quilts.
    This year is harder. Quilting friends getting small quilted bags with zippers for stuff...in your purse.
    Youngest son (19) getting a polar fleece zip up jacket made out of fabric with racing flames on it...he will like it..
    as for the rest of the family...just don't know and am working full time so not lots of time either.
    I will keep watching to see what the rest of you are doing.
    Karen L

• Spicey
    19 years ago

I make jewelry (my website is in progress), and that is usually what friends and family wil ask for. I also do other crafts such as cross-stitch. I don't like to "push" my crafts off others so they have to have mentioned something about to get something handmade unless it's small. *lol*

I am thinking of giving out some sand art brownies as hostess gifts since we get invited over a lot during the holidays though. I also makecookie trays which I will decorate accordingly. After we had friends over last year, several "flipped" over my wine glass charms so I may give some out this year as well. I've just now really started thinking about it.
    Personally, I love receiving handmade gifts. I'm hoping to find some more ideas so i'll keep watching this thread. :)

Leslie
    Texan in France

Here is a link that might be useful: Examples of Jewelry

• AmeliaD
    19 years ago

Like most of you, I do a LOT of baking during the holiday season and share with many people. I also like to do things with cans, jars, bags, oatmeal boxes etc.- decorating, filling with goodies. I've tried many different crafts projects over the years. One of my good friends called me one year after receiving her baskets of "stuff" and wanted to know if she was suppose to eat it, bath in it or rub it on her face. (I was into bath salts and herbs that year.)What a joy it is to share your blessings with others. A current project is a crazy quilt out of velvets/satins etc for my granddaughter's 16 birthday - she is 14 now so maybe I will finish by the time she reaches 16!
    I am also a great procrastinator. Enjoy all your ideas. Amelia D.

• des_arc_ya_ya
    19 years ago

Kleibengood, would you e-mail me your recipe for rock candy? That sounds like a cute gift idea. Thanks so much.

• shellyp
    19 years ago

hello everyone!! I'm new I just joined today!!! I found this site in the spring when I started my gardening, but since it's cool now I'm crafting getting ready for christmas!!! I live in a log cabin and I'm trying to figure what I could do to compliment the cabin! things I'd like to make myself if you have any ideas please share!! I've manage to get hooked on making penny rugs. I've made two so far in about a month. They are so fun, and quite simple too!

• User
    19 years ago

Okay, I'll bite....What is a penny rug????

• TonkaLady
    19 years ago

Penny rug? I had the same question when I read the post. What is it?

• shellyp
    19 years ago

well, penny rugs were made in the early 19th century and would be made of fabric scraps/wool scraps and wool felt. most of the time the ladies would use coins as their patterns. they really didn't use them as rugs, they would go on the table or I guess now we use them for wall hangings or table mats or since I've found them on the net they even make purses too.. they are hand stitched with just the basic stitches like the buttonhole stitch. check out www.woodenthimble.com or www.patchpieces.com
    let me know what you think!!!

• minnie_tx
    19 years ago

Your ideas are so great I invite you all to come over to the Garden Web/Home Site Forum called http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/crafts/ and share

It is kind of quiet over there right now. We also have a HOLIDAY Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crafts and Dec Forum

• User
    19 years ago

I'm making a crocheted denim rug, some placemat/napkin sets, two small lap quilts for neighbors and lots of christmas stockings for donating to the senior center.

• netla
    19 years ago

In the past I've made patchwork tablecloths, crocheted doilies and painted rocks (cats, horses, etc.). This Christmas, besides a couple of large crocheted doilies, I'm crocheting little tree ornaments that I stiffen with white glue and decorate with ribbons, sequins, cord, etc. and hang on the outside of the packages. I'm also making the Christmas cards from scratch.

• faltered
    19 years ago

I just made some plant markers this past weekend. I'm going to give the gals here at work a terra cotta pot filled with soil, some seeds, and a plant marker with the seeds' name on it. All the seeds are from my garden. I made the markers out of those tiny terra cotta pots. Just wrote the name on there and painted a few flowers. I think they came out ok.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the big pots. Not sure if I should leave them blank or paint something on there. Might be too busy. Who knows. And have to figure out how to wrap these? Any ideas?

• Geo_in_NW_Ontario
    19 years ago

I'm making bracelets w/ memory wire and vintage glass beads (for the ones who will appreciate a more funky gift) or I will use semi precious beads - like amethyst or rose quartz or crystal beads for those who like a more classic look.
    While on vacation this summer at the Gaellic (sp?) College on Cape Breton Island I bought some yardage of my family tarten. Around $40.00 a meter! This will be turned into scarves for my immediate family. Its a very tight pure wool weave so I should only have to cut it and then make a fringe at each end.
    Geo

• Ina Plassa_travis
    19 years ago

it's lap rugs for me this year-

some of them are real simple- made my parents matching ones out of blue fleece with a blue and white fringed border

some of them aren't- I just really got started on a run of crazy-quilt pieces decidated to useing up the four or five garbage bags full of wool and upholstry-weight fabric in my attic (the boss cleans house seasonally, and has gotten into the habit of bagging her scraps, rather than throwing them away :)

other than that- I'm giving away a load of pottery that I got for helping a potter friend empty out her mom's house and put the estate sale together. she's since given me things that fit the decor of OUR house better, so I'm giving away everything else :)

and DH wants to bake cookies for all the people in his office...though it's hard enough to get him to reheat the gumbo for dinner, so we'll see about that ;)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!