SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Want to gel stain kitchen cabs. Look ok?

User
10 years ago

Hi guys. I’d like to bounce some ideas that I’ve been pondering. I need a change. My cabinets have turned that horrid orange color. If I were giving advice my knee jerk response would be to ‘paint them white’ but I don’t want to for a number of reasons. The main one being I prefer stained wood . The appliances aren’t that old so they need to stay for now.

I’m thinking a rich brown color. I’m leaning gel stain and maybe a glaze. I have products in mind, but to keep this thread simple, I’ll try and focus on the stain color.

My kitchen and DR.
{{gwi:1773609}}
{{gwi:1708099}}

Close up of counter, cabinets, and floor.
{{gwi:1636255}}

DR side
*note - The hutch is sentimental and I’m not willing to alter it.
{{gwi:1708100}}
{{gwi:1773610}}
*note - There’s a white pantry door on the left wall (not shown) across from the island.
{{gwi:1773611}}

I think this color works with the counters but will this make the kitchen more disjointed with the DR? The wood tones don’t currently match but are similar. I do have a small table in the corner of the DR (see above - holds a computer) and it’s similar to the stain color I’m aiming for. I think it looks fine but it’s a small piece in the room vs. all the cabinets.

Here’s the bottom piece of the table. Looking a wee bit rugged but you get the idea.
{{gwi:1773612}}

Here are some inspiration pics with cabinet tones I like. These first two photos look really close to the table in my DR.
1 I like the 2nd piece of furniture. - it’s glazed which I like very much. EDIT - 1st piece done in General Finishes gel stain in Candlelite. 2nd piece Java over the Candlelite as a glaze.
{{gwi:1773613}}

2 Fireplace EDIT - General Finishes 50/50 mix of Candlelite and Java gel stains.
{{gwi:1773614}}

3 Looking at the island in this photo with similar countertop.
{{gwi:1773615}}

4. The floor and countertop on this one is very similar to mine. I wouldn’t have the slate (?) backsplash so it would be paint or I’ve been tossing the idea of beadboard wallpaper (have some left from another project).
{{gwi:1708105}}

5 Another option - EDIT General Finishes Brown Mahogany gel stain.
{{gwi:1773616}}

6 Gel stained oak kitchen with similar counters and painted island. I like that the grain shows. I like this one but it’s very brown.
{{gwi:1773617}}

7 I absolutely don’t want them dark opaque or this color.
{{gwi:1773619}}

Other things I’m willing and/or want to change!
-PAINT - I’d probably want to go the lighter/so called ‘neutral’ direction. Getting ahead of myself, BM Shaker Beige works well with the counters and floors but might be too dark. FWIW, I’m planning to paint my LR and foyer/hall this color.
-POSSIBLY PAINT ISLAND INSTEAD OF STAIN
-CHANGE FABRICS - CURTAIN AND CHAIRS
-PAINT STOOLS
-PAINT OR POSSIBLY REPLACE HARDWARE
-CHANGE ARTWORK

Here are some photos showing similar features. Yes, I’m a visual person! (Hoping this helps some of you too!)

8 I think the lighting makes these cabinets appear a little darker but I wanted to show with a white island.
{{gwi:1773620}}

9 These are too dark and opaque but they too have white appliances.
Mlraff53
{{gwi:1773622}}

10 Again too dark but wanting to show with white in the room.
{{gwi:1773624}}

A few more.
11 Thriftydecorchic
{{gwi:1773625}}

{{gwi:1773626}}

{{gwi:1773627}}

Can I make this work with the white appliances and the open DR area? If so, do you have any thoughts as to which of the photos to go to for a color guide? I think the cabinets would look much better dark (with other changes - paint, etc.) but IMO too red (or purple) will, for sure, make it look disjointed.

Any thoughts as to what to do with the rest of the kitchen (paint, island, etc.)?

Thanks!

Oh and FWIW, we have dark wood (not matching) in the rest of the house and I think the kitchen looks like the odd ball. Also, I do plan to test whatever stain out but wanted feedback first.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 13:10

Comments (89)