SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
never_ending_gw

Gel stain kitchen long with pics

never_ending
16 years ago

Hi all,

Just thought I'd share with you my kitchen transformation with gel stain and some left over materials. The whole project was $31.00, one long weekend, and the usual struggle with my "hate to change" husband.

The cabinets were originally dark walnut. I painted them off white immediately after moving in, but with two little boys the upkeep was more than I cared for and I re-painted them red. I liked the red, but found it limiting, especially with the copper tiles. (which DH did not want to change and he is a whiner when it comes decorating) I was going to re-paint a dark brown but really wanted a wood grain effect when it came right down to it. Somewhere, somehow, out of the blue it dawned on me that gel stain may be able to glaze the cabinets without re-painting them. After some investigating, I consulted a professional painter before I tackled this project. The main info I came away with was to think of gel stain as a glaze, translucent and workable. It can be rolled on, brushed on, wiped on, wiped off, it layers darker with each coat. But it does need to have a protective coating since it only lays on the surface.

So I went for it. I also took off copper tiles, replaced with beadboard paneling, re-used my cabinet hardware becaused with the stainless steel appliances I thought they were nice contrast. I do have decorative molding that still is in the works, I may tile the backsplash in the spring, and am searching for new window treatments,but I am very pleased with my project. In fact of all my DIY projects over the years this one took my breath away with outcome and overall easiness of it.

Gel stain was easy to use and definitely works for a glazing technique.

Kitchen Before:

Kitchen After:

Close Up:

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022