SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicksmom_gw

Change of Custody Status Conference - What to expect?

nicksmom
15 years ago

I'm another one of *those* women. You know, the ones who post here. Yes, I'm the 2nd wife, step-mom to 2 great kids. I think it's always the wives (or girlfriends) posting because women tend to be "fixers", moreso than men. I think we tend to seek out support/opinions from other women with whom we share common things (in this case, stepkids and being the 2nd wife).

So, to the point. My step-daughter lives in another state with her mother. She is a great kid (even at 15!). She gets along fine with her mom and stepdad, does well in school and is an accomplished dancer and athlete. There are no major problems at home. But, she wants to come live with her father (and me and her 1/2 sib) for high school.

Background: Husband and ex were divorced in '96. They had "shared" custody, each spending 50% of time with kids. In '98, when kids were 5 & 8, ex-wife was engaged to her 2nd husband. She announced that they were moving to NC, taking the kids and "there's nothing you can do about it". My husband fought it, but alas, she was allowed to move them 1000 miles away. The move was for her soon-to-be-husbands job...an optional move within his company that would increase his income significantly. But it was optional.

So, the kids have flown back & forth since then for visits every couple of months. They spent much of the summers here.

During middle school, stepson started talking about wanting to come here for high school. Although not happy at all about it, his mom agreed to let him return to Michigan for high schoo. He's done great and graduates tomorrow!

Last year, step-daughter also said she wanted to come here for high school. Dad discussed with Mom and she was adamant about daughter staying in NC. Since it was already summer, and it was doubtful that anything in the courts would be resolved prior to the beginning of the school year, Dad decided to not proceed with court at that point. He didn't want to disrupt her freshman year of high school.

However, despite nearing the end of her freshman year, she still wants to come here for the remaining 3 years of high school. She wants to be closer to her brothers (1 full and 1 step--both will be in college, but home alot) and her little sister, who she misses and adores. Her school in NC is terrible, and although she is a straight-A student, she recognizes that her school is awful, academically and socially. Although she moved in Kgtn, she considers her 2 friends here, her best friends. She wants to go to school with her best friends, and graduate with them. She has recently verbalized that "Dad has never seen me play volleyball or basketball or soccer...never really seen me dance except one recital. I really want Dad to be able to see me do that stuff. I want to make up for lost time". Completely out of the blue, stream of thought stuff from her. She's been thinking about this stuff for a long time.

She has been honest with her mom about her wishes, and her mom said she will "have to work really hard at trying to talk her out of it". Last year it was lots of guilt trips, this year looks like more of the same, with some bribery tossed in for good measure. Dad has tried to talk with Mom about it, but she refuses to discuss. All she says is that she doesn't "think it's in her best interest".

So, husband called attorney, who filed a petition for change of custody for above reasons. We have a "Status Conference" scheduled for next Wednesday, June 4th.

What should he expect? Attorney said to expect it to take about 2 hours. We understand that the goal is to resolve the issue (change of custody) without going to court, and without having the child involved. A "referree" will be there, not a judge. Just curious if anyone here has experienced a "status conference", especially in Michigan, and how things went.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments (47)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996