SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

What do you think of this rug for my LR?

15 years ago

A few weeks ago I finally bought a rug for my dining room. It is a Karastan that was for sale on CL. We are happy with it and so would like to purchase another Karastan for the LR. I feel more comfortable purchasing a used Karastan than I do a used Persian since there seemed to be so many quality issues with the latter plus many just seemed to be too vibrant for my room. There is one currently for sale that I am considering. It's a size larger than I had planned (8.8x12 instead of the smaller 8.8x10) which is really my hestiation with this rug. My furniture would then sit on top of the rug, though the pattern is rather simple which I like and the price is $500.

Here is the LR:

{{!gwi}}

Here are some closeups of the actual rug:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

This is the same rug (but smaller size) for sale on eBay. I'm not considering purchasing this rug--just showing the overall pattern as the seller did not post a full shot pic so I will need to evaluate in person:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KARASTAN-ORIGINAL-COLL-RUG-738-TABRIZ-DESIGN-59-X-9_W0QQitemZ170233994746QQihZ007QQcategoryZ37980QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Here are a few pics of the DR rug. I would like it to compliment this rug, but be in a lighter pattern:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Opinions welcome! The seller is asking $500 for this rug. It's been listed a few weeks now so I was thinking of making an offer--perhaps $400 or $450?

Comments (42)

• 15 years ago

Gorgeous rug and I LOVE the color of your LR too! I know absolutely nothing about rugs (am just beginning a search for one myself though) but it sounds like a pretty good buy for a rug of that size. I think it will complement your DR rug beautifully and really pull your LR together.

And it definitely doesn't hurt to offer lower than asking price. I think $400 is a good starting point - I think most people price their things with negotiating room built into the starting price. Good luck! :)

Christy

• 15 years ago

Is that one of the English Manor rugs? It reminds me of Susans02 rug, but it seems her drumroll thread and others have been deleted.

• Related Discussions

Sequel to Rug Delemna - What do you think of this rug (pics)?

Q

Comments (51)
    Val: I know this was a very hard decision for you. Bravo to you for giving it a try despite all the drama involved. :) It took us a long time to find most of our rugs. Some we loved to death and had a hard time talking ourselves out of because of one reason or another. When we did find the right ones, it was like it was meant to be... right color, size, condition, etc..... We were able to bring them home, put them down and just stop thinking about whether they were right or wrong because they were perfect for us in every way. There was never any second guessing. I know there are rugs out there just waiting for you to find them. Don't exhaust yourselves trying to find one w/in a set time frame. Shop when you have the time and the energy. It may take months, or it may just take days... but please take your time and enjoy the journey. One more thing. Some dealers may seam snooty, and some may even BE snooty... but the good ones know their stuff and want you to be happy w/ your rug. Some will want to educate you and some won't want to bother. Never tell a dealer what your budget is as some will never show you any less than your upper range. If pressed, just say that you must keep it under $xxx, which should be less than you really are willing to spend. I look forward to seeing your future finds!
    ...See More

What do you think of this rug in my living room?

Q

Comments (11)
    The rug actually works really well with my current window treatments, which are roman shades topped with a valance: I've just been longing for woven wood shades and side panels. I wish that I could buy more of the fabric that I used for the valance and trim on the romans, but I made it from some drapery panels about 6 years ago, and they have been discontinued. I like the look of these panels from West Elm: I have to say, the rug is really growing on me. I got it at the most unexpected place - Big Lots - and it was only $128, and it's 100% wool.
    ...See More

What do you think of this LR layout?

Q

Comments (31)
    Thanks may_flowers. I was afraid of that, so had 2 tall friends (one man >6') sit on it. They said it was very comfortable and their knees did not bump. While only 3 cushions, it is relatively large and has a deep seat. Has a slightly higher back than the one pictured above. Great place to snuggle up in the corner and read. Very cozy. Different fabric, but these Smith Bros pieces. Most often, usually, only 1 person on it.
    ...See More

What do you think? L.R. Furniture arrangement

Q

Comments (0)
    Furniture was brought from another house, but I need to make it work here. Fireplace wall is going to be redone and when it is we will have the entire room painted. So please ignore the shelf decor and ugly marble. ( fireplace thread is available if you have ideas). I’m thinking agreeable grey for this room and adjoining library will be navy. I loved having the sofas opposite each other but in this house if I do that the view from the front entry is the back of a long couch. Also just found this 8x10 rug... what do you think size wise? I do need to get some pillows with the same navy if it stays. Sorry pictures are dark...
    ...See More
  • 15 years ago

Here's a link to susans02's rugs from the drumroll thread. Thanks for the heads up on it being deleted, I just copied it to Word.

Here is a link that might be useful: drumroll thread

• 15 years ago

Hmm, wonder why it didn't come up on the search. Nope, but I swear I've seen that rug before. Doesn't seem to be in the EM collection though. I really can't get a feel for the whole rug from the pic.

• 15 years ago

Squirrel it was a google cached thread. I think it has been deleted. Sorry val love watching your rooms, but no help from me.

• 15 years ago

Ahhh, maybe I can find some of the ones I wanted to print but are deleted. That one was around for quite a while.

• 15 years ago

susan02's rugs are lovely, but it is not either of them. Better pics of the rug I am considering can be found from the link below on eBay, though that would not be the actual rug I would be purchasing. I'd be getting a larger size of the same pattern through CL. For whatever reason, the seller did not post any distance shots of the rug and so I had to track it down on eBay as Karastan no longer makes it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Karastan Original Collection - Tabritz #738

• 15 years ago

It's a beautiful rug, would certainly be worth bringing home on trial, I think. What a great find!

• 15 years ago

Beautiful rug; the size wouldn't bother me a bit. I like furniture to sit on the rug.

I would trial it at home if you can like Squirrel said. The cream field in that rug sort of reads peachy on my monitor, and I wonder how that would go with your current cream furniture and walls? I would just be careful that the undertones aren't too weird.

• 15 years ago

Which way is it going to be positioned in the room? Fringe towards fireplace or towards window? I remember you had problems with a directional rug in the past I think.

In my opinion, the colour and pattern are great for the room, but if you are trying to place it with the fringe towards the fireplace it is not going to work. The long rectangle of the centre lined up with the fireplace is going to make for a runway down the centre of the room.

• 15 years ago

Great rug, fabulous price: Yes!

• 15 years ago

Val, love how your room turned out (I remember your previous posts) but I dont love the rug. I think a rug with more golden tones would look better.

• 15 years ago

budge1: The rug would flow so that the frige goes under the sofa and chairs. I agree the other direction would not work. It's actually one of the things I like about the rug is that it doesn't really have a large center medalian or is pictoral which is where I had problems with the other rug.

squirrel: I don't know that he'd sell on a trial basis--like the other and would be a hassle as is a longer drive for me. Basically, I'd bring up my fabric/wall swatches and make a decision then, hope to low ball the price. I'd only purchase if I'm pretty confident it's going to work.

texashottie: I like furniture to sit on the rug (at least the front legs), but with this one, both front and back legs will sit on the rug. Do you think that would look OK?

The description of the rug says that the background color is ivory. I agree a peach background would not work. I sent to seller an email offering $400 - assuming the colors and condition work.

• 15 years ago

Hi again V. The next comment comes with a warning that it contains totally unsolicited advice that you probably don't want so please ignore if you must and rap me on the knuckles if you feel the need, but.... just thinking that the tall lamp in the foreground may be better on the far side of the couch and the small table on this side of the couch. I know you have tried many combinations in the room and may have done this already and found it didn't work. The room is really perfect and it may just be that in the pic the lamp looks more prominent than in real life.

• 15 years ago

val: It might be too large? I like the front legs of the furniture to sit on the rug, as well, but I'm wondering how far out the non-fringe end would extend into the room: you have such beautiful floors, I'd hate to see them all covered up. On the other hand: I've seen elegant rooms, such as this, with very large rugs and the effect is stunning. Maybe somebody could photoshop to give us an idea??? :)

• 15 years ago

I think the rug is beautiful. Be sure to ask when they last had it cleaned. There seems to be a stain in the picture and if that's the part they are showing....

If it's clean and compliments your colors, I wouldn't worry too much about the backround color unless it screamed peach. With the different accents in your lovely room, I'd rather see a rug that didn't look too planned, rather the way they used them in rooms years ago.

• 15 years ago

budge1: No offense taken. I did try switching them, but the two lamps did not look good to either side of the fireplace. It's actually a very pretty floor lamp, though the detail work does not show up in the pics.

organic: The room is 17'x14' and the rug 12'x8.8' so from a room perspective it will work really well with a with a 30-32" hardwood floor border all around. I have this hardwood throughout the whole house with the exception of the entryway which is travertine and bathrooms so I do like the idea of breaking up all the wood look with some rugs. I just don't want it to look out of proportion. For the non fringed ends it will be fine and would be the same width even with the 8.8x10 rug.

I went ahead and put blue tape all around to show the dimensions of the rug. What do you think?

{{!gwi}}

If anyone would like to PS the rug so that the fringed ends run left-to-right and stretch it to the size of the blue tape, that would be very helpful. Then to do that but bring it in one foot to either side which would show the 8x10 size.

Before I saw this rug, I was thining of 8x10 for this room , but saw this one on CL and thought it works very well with the DR rug (which is also a Karastan Tabriz but in burgendy) as I wanted a light rug in the LR. The advantage of this size would be that it would allow for an equal sized border all around. Here is a pic I had saved off that I was just looking at that shows a bergere chair that is mostly on the rug:
    {{!gwi}}

No email back from seller yet on my $400 offer. It's no longer listed for sale on CL--probably the ad expired, otherwise I'd link the ad; but I had briefly communicated with the seller over two weeks ago when I bought the DR rug and thought I should get the DR rug in place first before deciding on this one. Then I sent email to him yesterday asking if he'd even sold it and he said no and emailed me the pics. As for the a possible stain, I had wondered also, but he stays no stains, rips, or tears, excellent condition. When I looked at the pics on the eBay rug, I noticed the same subtle variation in the background color and think it's a feature of the way the rug has been dyed. The eBay ad terms it "abrash" effect that Krastan uses. Anyone know if Karastan tries to create an abrash look in their rugs?

• 15 years ago

Sorry can't photoshop, but I think the size is perfect. Just looking at the "somethings gotta give thread" where it shows loads of pics of living rooms with rugs and hardwoods and the rugs are often big enough for both front and back feet to be on the rug. And, hey, now that I think about it, that's how ours is too. I think it is most important that there is wood showing between rug and fireplace and it looks like you've got plenty.

• 15 years ago

Thanks, budge1. I'll check out that thread.

• 15 years ago

val: Now that I see the area taped off, I think it will be beautiful there. Seriously.

What I wouldn't give for a 17' x 14' LR! :)

• 15 years ago

OS: Now I just need to see if the seller responds. I just replied to your thread about the server, so we'll see if I fare any better. And I did want to head up there today too! Perhaps I scared him off with my low ball offer, though you think he'd at least offer a counter in the middle. Seriously he's relisted it twice on CL now and as of now has not relisted it again as far as I can tell. Probably out for the day, but most people want to sell on the weekends. My DR rug I got for $225 though it's a 5.9x9 size (two sizes down from this one). I've been vascilating on this for the past two weeks, now I finally decide I want it after all and he's not replying. Don't you just hate this about CL?

• 15 years ago

I'm SO sorry to hijack this thread, but can I PLEASE ask you the paint color on your fireplace wall and in your dining room? They're just lovely! Thank you!

• 15 years ago

On my pc, the first rug looks beautiful with all the colors in your living room. The size defines the space and will also make sounds and visiting nicer. I'd love to see it in place!

• 15 years ago

babs: Both colors are from Behr: the DR is in Oat Straw and LR accent wall is in False Cypress. The other walls are BM Wilmington Tan.

babica: Glad you like it, though I'm getting antsy the seller has not replied yet.

How long should I give him to reply? I sent email late last night with $400 offer. I was anticipating he'd counter or reply in some way right? Heck, I'd pay $500 if it comes to it; but figured he hadn't sold it in over two weeks so I could knock down the price a bit. I'll really kick myself if he found another buyer.... I had this happen about 4 months ago on some Ethan Allan bookcases I wanted for my family room... just lovely and perfect and while I was waiting for DH to give the OK, they were sold and I've never found anything else like them again.

• 15 years ago

Val, here's the rug in three different shadings. Although as I bring them in here, the differences don't seem to show up as much.

I swear I've seen this rug. I do remember it as having a peachy read, also, but the background was just an offwhite/cream, not peachy. It was the flowers along with the blue in it I think. Though this is most likely a different rug or colorway, maybe just a very similar pattern.

I've always liked rugs under the furniture too, so I don't think that's a big deal either.

What a deal!

Toned down a tad:

More like the photo:

A tad lighter and non-yellowed background color, which is more what my memory is:

• 15 years ago

It looks good in your room. I hope you get it! Great job as usual Squirrel :-)

• 15 years ago

squirrel: Looks good--esp. the last one. It's a tad smaller on the right side, but don't redo it. I've seen multiple pics of the Karastan rug and they all look more of less consistant from pic to pic. I tired using trying2grow's Shaw application but didn't fair too well. I feel pretty comfortable now with this size the more I look at my blue tape mockup. I really like the idea of the more or less equal sized hardware floor border all around and can always shift the sofa/chairs a bit if needbe to get the right look.

Well, the seller replied to my email and agreed to $400 (didn't even counter). I did send him another email this AM just saying I'd like to come to see the rug if it was still available, but not upping my first offer. So, we're playing phone tag and just need to set up a time to head up there to see it. Hope it looks as good in person as the pics--which I know can be deceiving.

• 15 years ago

It looks very pretty. I prefer it w/o so much of the yellow to it too, as in the last pic. Only a visit will tell on the colors. I like the size of it also.

I'm sure you've noticed but on the closeup pic, top right area, there is some sort of light streaking. I wouldn't expect the rug to be in perfect condition, but hopefully that's not some sort of a stain, as it looks pretty noticeable.

Good luck! and I hope we all hear soon, with a picture of it in its new home : )

• 15 years ago

Did you see tryin2grow's P.S. to me on her rug viewing thread yesterday? It verified that Karastan does in fact use a striation process to try to duplicate the effect of old Persian rugs which is what I think was alternatively referred to the "abrash" effect by the eBay seller of the same patterned rug. As seller says there are no stains, I'm assuming this is from the striation effect, though will have to see what it looks IRL to be sure, though even if a stain would most likely be under the sofa. I noticed the same effect on the eBay rug (and the seller specializes in Karastans and has a 100% positive feedback rating). I'm not getting the eBay rug as it's not the right size, but did use the pictures as well as information contained there to help research this rug. Why is it that every rug I consider seems to have some contraversy attached to it? :)

We do have three kids and friends with kids so even if I bought a new rug, it could get stained and I would feel much worse having paid $1.5-2K for a new Karastan! Just like earlier this year I bought a pre-certified 2004 Honda Pilot fully loaded. Within a week my teenaged DS scratched the leather seat when a pen poked out his back back. Ces la vie! But at least it wasn't brand new.

Most likely I'll head up on Thurs to check it out. We're working out the details when to meet as I don't want to travel during rush hour and it's not like anyone else is beating down his door for the rug or he's relisting on CL.

• 15 years ago

Yes, I did see her post. Maybe the camera was exagerrating the coloring in that area. Good, though, as it *would probably be in a discrete location.

Yes, that's what's nice about having things broken in. New stuff is soooo stressful!

Can't wait to see it! Fingers crossed all goes well. I guess you'll pretty much be done then.

• 15 years ago

With the LR, yes, pretty much I'll call it done once the rug is there as I don't want to over decorate--though I do want to make a tablecloth for one of the drum tables at some point and perhaps a couple of lumbar pillows for the Bergere chairs. However, I will probably switch back to the DR as now that I have the rug, I plan to clean and reupholster the chairs so I'm sure to need all kinds of help picking fabric for the chairs. Also, I want to get a new topper for my mattress. Then I will go back to the FR as I am not really happy with it. Probably made a bad decision to get a sectional so am living with it so far as well as the oak bookcases there. I can really kick myself I did not jump on those Ethan Allan ones. But, before all that, we are going to Alaska for two weeks which will about break the bank... so I'll need to save all our pennies for that trip.

• 15 years ago

Whoa, all that's wearing me out just listening to it! : )

• 15 years ago

Love your dining room rug. I have the same rug by Karastan in my LR. I have several others in different colors in adjoining DR/Foyer. Good luck in getting the rug you are bidding on.

• 15 years ago

WorkInProgress - How do the colors read in real life???

• 15 years ago

squirrel: I think WorkInProgress is referring to my DR rug with the burgundy background. It's darker than I'd like for my LR, but perfect for the DR to disguise any possible food spills.

WorkInProgress: Would love to see what other rugs you've paired the burgundy rug with. I'm not bidding on this rug though as it's for sale on Criagslist and I have an appt. on Thurs to view the rug so it's basically mine if I want it.

• 15 years ago

Oh, yes, I see now. Bit slow these days : )

• 15 years ago

i'm late chiming in here but i think the color in the rug will look good in your LR. Hope it goes well! i love all the pics i've seen of your house!

• 15 years ago

Thanks sheesharee, for the compliments. It came together with a little bit of luck in finding things, lots of patience waiting for the right thing to come around and a lot of help from this board to advise when to jump or when to keep looking. Yours will too! I've been looking for a rug for this room for about 6 months how, but I just did not have the vision or confidence to know what I wanted though I like to think that has changed. :) Thurs I go to look at the rug, plus my patio set comes in so I'm hoping to have some pics to share by Friday.

• 15 years ago

Saw the rug today and it was horribly stained so did not get it. How anyone can expect $500 for a rug in that condition and say the condition was "excellent" is beyond me. On the plus side, I did like the pattern/colors and am now leaning towards this size again for a rug if ever I can find one. That makes 0 for 3 now with rugs I have checked for this room. :(

I'm just out two hours of driving and the gas it took me to get there. Next time I will not check out anything unless they send more detailed pictures.....

• 15 years ago

pbbbbbbb, I totally forgot about this today. What a bummer. You did glean some good info from finding it though.

I wonder where your next rug venture will lead! : )

(Hope you grabbed a good lunch or some shopping or something along the way : )

• 15 years ago

Sorry to hear it val. I was anxious to come back today and see what you'd found out about it. The colors looked so right for your room. At least you learned a few things from the experience that will help you as you keep looking. Good luck!

• 15 years ago

Oh Val, I'm so sorry to hear this. What a waste of time and gas money! People can be so deceptive in the "marketing" of stuff they want to sell.

Have you tried looking for Karastans on ebay?