SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keepitmovin

Am I just going crazy?

keepitmovin
16 years ago

(sorry kind of long)

I'm having a really hard time with this. My fiance and i have gone to pick up and drop off SD together almost 99% of the time. Its a long commute and he has always asked that i come with him. BM has clearly stated that she is not a fan of this and goes out of her way to do things that she thinks may irritate me such as laughing exaggeratedly loud, acting in a "flirtatious" manner, playful banter, whatever. She'll bring treats for my SO, like cookies or left over Halloween candy, his favorite magazine, etc. It all seems really silly to me and unnecessary but it doesn't have as much negative effect that she possibly thinks it does. He acts in a manner that anyone would when they are around their ex and their current; kind of reserved and tries to keep things to the point.

This last time though he went without me to drop off SD. He called me and told me he was still driving back. Mind you, he should have been back by now. He says he was in traffic but its not a traffic area or time. I'm trying not to get irritated because I figure its because he was talking to BM and he doesn't want to say so. Which is upsetting because why would he give me part of the truth? So i let it go as best as i can and keep it moving. The next day I'm about to call his brother ( using his cell phone) and up pops a text message from BM, "I just wanted to say thanks for talking and hanging out. Reminded me of how great you are".

Now, here I am in a place where my instinct is confirmed and I'm angry. Angry because 1) he keeps secrets that don't need to be kept 2) he isn't being honest and 3) this conversation will probably turn around to be about I shouldn't have read the message.

I talked to a friend of mine and although she can empathize with me, she asked me why i let BM have any control. I never saw it as that, is that what it comes down to? That I'm letting BM control my relationship? I thought I was upset with my soon to be DH because I don't want to go into a marriage with secrets being kept and only part honesty. I can understand if he doesn't want friction, but why not just be open so that there isn't any question or ill feeling.

I don't know about some folks but I don't believe in keeping secrets when you are committing to someone. Any conversation I have with an ex is not held in confidence, any information I'm going to share with him.

I don't even know how to talk to him right now without him getting defensive. I don't know what approach to take.

Help.

Comments (24)