SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahm_23

favouritism amongst our children

sarahm_23
17 years ago

Hi all

I'm new to this site, this is the first site I have found that talks exactly about the problems I face with my blended family.

all together we have four children, me and my partner have been living together for two years, i'm 25 and he is 38 years old. I have son from a previous relationship and he is 4 and half. He has three children from a previous marriage; two boys aged 14 and 9 and a daughter whose 13 years and they stay with every weekend

The problem is there is a divide down the family in terms of how my partner treats the children. I have no problem equally loving and disciplining the children as I love them all. my partner however 'loves' (strong word I know) his two boys more then he 'loves' his daughter and my son, taking this one step further he openly shows favouritism to his youngest (9yo) more than any other.

My partner will openly break house rules, disregard the other children and abide by the rules to suit his youngest son. My partner says he takes the easy route to limit confrontation as his youngest is the most aggressive boy I have ever met. He is violent verbally and physically to the other children and his dad and me with little or no punishment and when his son is punished my partner will always punish another child too to ease his sons anger at being told off. which to me is just stupid.

My partner holds no responsbility to how distructive I feel his attitude is and even though I have many years of child psychological training and have sat down with my partner and explained that he needs to be fair and strong to try and calm his youngest down and teach him boundaries my partner is unable to change even for his youngest's furture happiness. I can not shift the feelings of dislike I have for this boy. I want to cringe when I hear the way he speaks to his dad and others and feel mad at how little affection my partner shows to the other children who are very well behaved, they will do anything to please their dad. My partner openly ignores both my son and his daughter giving them little or no time as most of the time is spent with his youngest as he has no respect for my house rules or others.

I am lost as what to do and my son is starting to notice the differences and is getting at my partners son in frustration. As my partners son bullys to some extent my son, having once feared for my son safety around him, I can't help but smile at how strong my son is towards him. I don't really want any of this to happen, I would like a peaceful and loving house and advice would be a god send

Thanks

Comments (13)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH