SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fgiraffe

Should ss go to party instead of to father?

FGiraffe
22 years ago

Ss (6) lives with his mother and me. His father lives a 2.5hr drive away. His father has him for 2 night stretches only on long weekends and during school holidays due to distance. He usually collects the boy on a Saturday morning and returns him around 6pm on the Monday.

Here in England we have a long weekend coming up first weekend in May. The father asked to have him, and we agreed.

Yesterday my ss received a birthday invitation from his best pal at school for 2.30-4.30 on the Saturday he is scheduled to see his father. The boy really wants to go. He knows the arrangement with his father, but is adamant he should go to the party. His father walked out when ss was 6 months old, and with infrequent contact, not surprisingly seeing his father is a low priority for him.

Problem is, by the time the father collects him after the party and drives home, itÂs bedtime  Saturday is ruined.

The father has said his son cannot attend the party and must go with him instead on Saturday morning.

I'm not sure whether I should intervene. I feel sorry for the boy  going to parties is an important part of childhood, and it is unfair he should be robbed to indulge the father. It was the father who chose to move away from his son - the son never made that choice. So why should the son pay the price for his father's selfishness? If I feel strongly enough, I will put my foot down and the father will just have to do as he is told.

Any views?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County