SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berryfarm

Large discrepancies in cabinet estimates

berryfarm
13 years ago

So far, I have rec'd four estimates for cabinets. The kitchen will be 15'x16' and have a 4'x8' island; the perimeter cabinets will be white glazed and the island distressed cherry. DW and refrigerator will be paneled. Ceilings are 8' high, cabs will almost go to the top, the crown moulding on the cabs to be flush w/the ceiling. No fancy corbels or decorative pieces; doors are recessed panel w/applied moulding.

Here are the quotes for custom: $18K and $25K. Semi-custom: $27K and $34K. (None include installation.) Why is there such a huge difference? The custom cabinets are both companies, not a solo woodworker. Both of the custom lines have plywood boxes; semi-custom uses furniture board. Yes, the semi-custom lines are well-known brand names, and the custom ones are regional.

Am I missing something here? Did I answer my own question? Since the semi-custom cabinets are well-known and national, am I paying for all of the middlemen?

Why am I not picking the custom cabinets? The $18K quote really has limited door styles, nothing close to what I want. The $25K quote was the first quote I rec'd over a month ago, and I wanted to compare it to all of the other quotes.

We should be getting two more estimates this week. I guess by then we will sort out what we want to do, but I wondered if anyone else had run into this. And, did anyone negotiate and how? Thanks.

Comments (7)