SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammyte

Got my first estimate.

tammyte
10 years ago

I had some time I had to kill waiting on something and had no children with me so.....I ran into Lowe's and had them draw up my kitchen. ;-) I figured it would be good to see it and get an idea of what things could cost.

Our plan has 9' ceilings. I had him go ahead and put the cabinets to the ceiling and all drawers on the bottom except the corner/lazy susan and the trash pullout.

My husband says it's a waste to have the cabinets to the ceiling because I can't reach them. (I'm barely 5'4") I was thinking I could put things up there that are seasonal and use space in my mudroom for other more daily things. Right now I keep those things in my garage and they have to be super-washed before I use them because of all the dust and such. blech!

The countertop he quoted was a solid surface with integrated sinks for main sink and island prep sink. Cabinets were solid wood maple painted white. Some of the drawers are for pot and pan storage so have added strength.

Total cost was $25k. Plus about $3k for installation.

Some concerns I have are:

-If I have white trim in the house and these painted cabinets (or if I go with thermafoil) will the whites look right next to each other? He said he could order some of the paint they use on the cabinets if I want to use it for just the kitchen trim. How do people handle that?

-The trash base said it would hold 2 35 quart waste baskets. We currently use 2 separate waste baskets that hold a 13 gal bag each. It looks like this trash base cabinet will hold way less than what we are used to with twice the number of bags used. Are there other options for larger trash in the cabinets?

-What if we took the cabinets up to the 8' height and then had a bulkhead down to them? That would still be quite a bit of storage right? (I think right now mine only to to 7' height and I don't have many cabinets at all.)

The thing I don't like it all the junk on top the cabinets and all the dust up there collecting. If we have a bulkhead built down to it that should help with that right?

-Would I save more money having less drawers?

-We are GCing ourselves. My husband can definitely install cabinets but he is unsure about the countertops. I didn't ask if they could only do the countertops. I would assume not because that would require another trip for them after dh got the cabinets installed. Well, unless maybe dh picked up the cabinets and hauled himself and then we had them deliver and install the counters at a later date. ??

The installation fee included a 1 year warranty on installation. Would it be worth it to just have them do it all?

Oh this is for Kraftmaid cabinets.

Here's a copy of my plans that he worked off of.

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living