SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chesapeakebaycpa

Good pricing for new Carrier and Trane a/c systems

chesapeakebaycpa
15 years ago

I live about 20 min. east of Annapolis, MD, and my Goodman A/C system is almost 9 years old. This is one unit that is probably not meant to cool my whole house. I've repaired it several times this summer, and I'm told it's on it's last leg. Two different repairmen have said that I've got another 6 mos max left on it.

I got my first estimate on replacing it. This contractor recommends a Carrier system (upstairs-2 ton, downstairs-2.5 ton). The quote is for a 14-Seer system, with Puron heatpump and airhandler, 10KW heat package, 7-day programmable thermostat, duct work, and bubble wrap insulation on duct work for $17,500. He gave me a separate price of $4,800 to add a subpanel (current breaker box is used up) & wire the new heatpumps/airhandlers. That's $22,300 total! My house is 2 floors w/ 2400 sq. ft. and 19 windows. This seems like a really high price, so I want to shop around.

How much should I expect to pay for the whole system installed if the subpanel is not an issue? The contractor first told me it would be about $7,000 total, then $12,000, then this whopping price. Also, I've seen a lot of great things about Trane sytems and was condering that.

If any contractors local to MD would like to give me some feedback, that would be really great! I know the prices vary greatly from place to place. Thanks.

Comments (4)