SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Called BR-111 about which floating glue to use - Opinions?

susanlynn2012
14 years ago

I posted this in a reply on the flooring site and I am setting up a new post on this decor forum in case others know an answer or have an opinion.

I called BR-111 today and they told me to NOT use the Titebond III water proof wood glue since the drying time was too long.

They told me to use the Titebond II wood glue for floating or the newer version that they now like better called Titebond Tongue & Groove Glue.

I have the specs in front of me and I like the lower calculated VOC (5.5 g/L) of the Titebond II since the Titebond Tongue & Groove Glue has a calculated VOC (less water) 13.7 g/L. Why does one say "less water" and the other type does not say this?

But I like that the Tongue & Groove goes on white and dries translucent verses the II version goes on as a honey cream color and dries Translucent yellow.

The Tongue & Groove glue is a Cross-linking polyaliphatic emulsion with a 2 year shelf life while the II version is a Cross-linking polyvinyl acetate with a 1 year shelf life.

On the BR-111 site, it recommends the Titebond II Wood glue for floating or equivalent but during the phone call, I was told the website will be updated with Titebond's newer formulation, the Tongue & Groove Wood glue and they like it a little better. Both are only water resistant and have a fast dry time.

Which should I buy? The place where I am buying my wood floor from and my underlayment has a different glue so I am going to go locally to find floating wood glue to use between the 1/2" thick 5" wide BR-111 Brazilian Cherry engineered hardwood floors I just ordered that I am also getting the the Floor Muffler with the Ultraseal underlayment.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!