SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cudaowner

Installing BR111 5/16 over concrete on grade

17 years ago

I thought I knew which route I was taking, until two days ago. I read through the last 60 pages of this forum. Awesome information. However, I have to ask some pointed questions. I am on the Panhandle of Florida, and have a 10 yr old house, on slab. I had engineered wood installed in one BR last year, and two rooms re-carpteted. I am satisfied with the company that did the work, but I want to install wood myself in the LR and DR (carpeted now). Never installed wood before, but have done other projects (ceramic tile, peel and stick floors, plumbing, basic electrical, etc.)

OK. Wife and I were in Lowes browsing, she fell in love with the BR111 Indusparquet 5/16 solid Tigerwood. Salesman advises moisture test, and seal concrete, and insists it can be glued down. Indeed the literature, and BR111 web site support that. Good enough for me...almost. After reading through these posts, I don't have a warm fuzzy.

Is it possible the BR111 solid has been treated differently that would allow install over concrete? I certainly respect the experience of the professionals that post on this board, and get the impression that most are dead set against solid wood over concrete, but would like a specific opinion on this application

1. Assuming moisture test is satisfactory, and following BR111 requirements for surface prep sealer and adhesive, would you consider this a crap-shoot?

2. Should I tell the wife to move-on, and find something else? (Of course, she hasn't cared for the look of any of the pre-engineered she has seen so far).

Comments (5)