SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommyto4boys_gw

building a home around the kitchen

mommyto4boys
14 years ago

Haven't been around for a little while, lurking mainly:) We are designing plans for "just one more" custom home and truly want it to "be the one." We have decided to downsize a little. We currently have a very large formal dining room, large table nook (open to the kitchen), and a large kitchen with an island that seats 6. So, in all that makes 16 chairs in site daily that are rarely used. Oh, the table in the nook is used if the boys have homework.

Brings me to the new house plans, definitely the center of our dwelling is the kitchen & I want to maintain a large space with a large island to seat atleast 6 again. We now have 5 boys and may or may not have more:) I want a dining room off of the kitchen, but without a formal feel. More pottery barnish with a 10 foot distressed wood table and exposed beams. We would often eat dinners there, entertain there and have holiday meals in that area.

So, asking all of you a few things...

What are your feelings/ideas about not having a "breakfast nook" in a custom/new-build?

Feelings about a "casual" seperate dining room rather than a formal one?

Thoughts on a homework area back by the mudroom?

Major concern, not having all the windows in the kitchen that surround my now kitchen table nook area? Would you design a wall of windows, say without upper cabinets? I really need windows!!

Do you have any floor plans or pictures saved in your idea files of large custom kitchens, without a "table" area?

Thanks for the help. I have some preliminary plans drawn on graph paper & wanted to get a little feed back first, so I can tweak them and then share some initial plans. Thank you!

Comments (27)