SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

New build kitchen...ducting requiring a 'box' around top of hood?

babs711
12 years ago

In a nutshell, our joists run lengthwise perpendicularly into our range wall. I was planning a chimney hood until the contractor and cabinet guy told me that because of how the joists hit and because there's stairs behind the kitchen, the duct work will have to angle up into the joists. Therefore a slight angle will occur so I can't have a straight run from the ceiling and will need something to surround the top of the chimney about 12" down and around and that it might be slightly wider depending on the angle. The cabinet guy swears it will look good and be trimmed out with molding etc. We are having 10' ceilings and are doing 42" uppers.

I cannot picture it at all. This isn't what I pictured for our new custom house. But there is NO WAY around it unless I spend $3k-ish more than a chimney hood to get a cabinetry/mantle hood with a blower and insert. That's the only true way to cover it in a way I can picture. All chimney hoods I see go straight into the ceiling.

Has anyone run into a strange ducting situation like this or seen a hood with some sort of wrap around? Thank you.

Comments (18)