SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anele_gw

I just squeezed a lot of new furniture into a very small room!

anele_gw
12 years ago

Um-- panic attack, here!

I have been wanting new sofas for a few years. I posted here asking for opinions on the Ektorp (thank you for all the input!!), and after trying them out in person (Karlstad was not as comfy for us), we got them.

DH put them together today. I love how they look, but I KNOW we have too many pieces for a small living room.

The fact is, we are not going to move (willingly) anytime soon, since we have an upside-down mortgage, unless somehow the market recovers. We have 4 children, and one more due in December. So, for 7 people, our house is small (maybe 1500 sq ft at the MOST).

We tried various configurations before purchasing-- including the sectional (sectional is only for 4 people) and we just decided that, aesthetics aside, we wanted more seating. So, we got a sofa, love seat, and 2 of the armchairs (Jennylund is a better scale for the room, but I did not find it comfortable at all). That is a LOT.

Someone-- even if you have to lie to me (ha, ha!)-- please make me feel better than no room is perfect, and function is key??? We only have the living room (no family room-- one playroom, but it is a small, narrow finished porch), so this is where we hang out a lot.

This is one of the things I hate about decorating. I may know what does not look good, but sometimes, it "seems" it can't be helped for it to look wrong, because it serves the best function. True?

Thoughts? I'll post a picture later . . .

Comments (57)

• roarah
    12 years ago

Since I do not see the room maybe this is not true, but I think it may just at first look to crowded because it is new to your eyes. Change never looks right at first to me. I hated my first sofa set cause it seemed to large than i grew to love the room. After six years I changed it for a smaller scale sofa chair and ottoman and than at first I hated it cause it felt to sparse. Since it functions just liked you hoped give it a little time and after it becomes familar I think and hope you will like the form of the room better too. but please post pics!!!

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

Wow! That is not a lot of space for a growing family. Even without pics, I do think you made the best, most practical decision for your family as having enough seating is key. I know we tried if for awhile in our FR (we have 3 kids, but teenagers who need more space) and everyone was always squabbling over seating areas and life was not pleasant. Then I suggested to my DH we rearrange the room which allowed for the addition of an armchair and since then we are all so much happier and comfortable.

• Related Discussions

Very new to gardening, lots of questions.

Q

Comments (17)
    Rolacoy, sounds like you have been very busy. i would also love to see photos. Be sure and document your progress with lots of pics, or you will wish you did. I know what you mean about perennials, it seems such a waste to buy annuals over and over. You were given lots of good plant ideas above. I am trying winter sowing for the first time this yr, so I cant say anything about how its doing for me, but I have read many many comments about its success in the winter sow forum. It would be a good way to fill up large areas very quickly. I participated in a round robin this winter and got loads of seeds to sow. Another thing to think about while researching, is finding plants that will bloom during the different seasons.At first I had mostly spring bloomers, then July on, I had very little bloom. I am trying to fix that. As someone mentioned above, plant flowers according to their light requirements. If you plant something that needs full sun, in your shady areas, its not going to be happy. I think some heucheras, and hostas would be great fillers for the shady areas.Probably the best thing you can do is continue to hang around gardenweb and ask questions. Skim old posts for pics. Good luck, what you have started already sounds fantastic. tammy
    ...See More

Help! I just can't decide, Long w/lots of pics

Q

Comments (28)
    I've been going back and forth on your post for awhile now just looking and thinking. I have oak cabinets too and we changed out the hardware to ORB. I love it. I hear your pain on painting the cabinets! DH is the same way but has always been fine w/ me painting our cabinets. We've just never gotten around to it though. Leaving the cabinets as is until you cajole your DH into painting I think that white is a good decision for table and chairs. But Let me toss this idea out to you: Should you eventually paint your cabinets would you consider painting your table base in a pale shade of grey/ blue? I suggest this just because I think that those curtains need something a little 'weighty' in the kitchen w/ the addition of the brown sectional being in the other room. Or maybe not. I forgot that you were painting the wals green and I don't feel like erasing everything that I just typed!
    ...See More

Need help squeezing in a powder room in new build design!

Q

Comments (42)
    @ Kyla YES. You can, I took a little bit of the bedroom walk in closet, you don't need a "hall " to the bedroom, and it is VERY easy to stack a washer/dryer when using front load appliances I can not perfect it. I could if it could be printed to scale, but I'm not inclined to make a trip to the vast copier, nor to scale this to perfection. Pleas. Go BACK to your arch, the one you paid, , and challenge him to do a better job. Nobody with this size home doesn't have a dedicated powder room. It's a bad value, whether YOU think you need it or anyone else here thinks "it's just fine" to get by without one. A horse and buggy can get you anywhere within reason. Doesn't mean you would not prefer the automobile.
    ...See More

Furniture placement in small living room with a lot of openings

Q

Comments (19)
    NO one is "being harsh" or "ridicule" and yes, we all have suggested the tv over the FP in regards to furniture placement. You are reaming on us because you're not getting the answer you want. Take a deep breath, show this thread to your daughter once you are calm. We all understand how frustrating demo is. But you need to accept you are not going to get many posters here who is going to go along with the idea of covering a FP for "furniture arrangement." You asked and we politely answered.
    ...See More
  • anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do not think the pictures will help my case re: aesthetics, but thank you so much for the support in the area of function!

Here they are-- I know some things (apart from the many pieces of furniture) need to be changed-- lamp is a family piece but crying for a new shade, picture in the way of the lamp but DH likes it there, picture over the FP too small but have nothing else . . .curtains in small window need new rod but DH has not put it up yet (it's been a yr, oops), some new ties for the curtains (those were scraps we just used when we needed them back), need more pillows, etc.

Thanks again for the cheerleading!

• User
    12 years ago

I have not read the previous responses, but love your space! Function always over form and your space (no lie) is
    A D O R A B L E ! ! Lots of charm and character and those pieces are perfect in it. Keep doing what you're doing because it looks great.

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

I think it all works! it is cozy and cottagey! ( which I love) You did well!!

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

100% agree - make it work for your family. It's a darling room with only little issues, easily solved over time, like the curtain rod ;-) !!

A couple suggestions.... I'd push the chairs apart and get a slim little table to put between rather than have them arm to arm. Don't make yourself crazy about it, but check garage sale and resale shops - sooner or later you'll find the right one. Then maybe paint it to pull more of your curtain color into the seating area. Also, keep your eye out for a new rug in slightly softer colors as the black seems a bit harsh. But again, take your time - the right one will come along at a great price. And I'm SURE some of the shopping mavens here could find something for you!

• roarah
    12 years ago

It is lovely! I think as soon as your mind adjusts to the change you too will love it. It is both practical for your family and it is also very charming too! I too thought to pull the chairs a part just a bit so they have a little more distinction from a sofa. But the way it is now is very pretty and does not looked "squeezed" at all.

• amj0517
    12 years ago

I was expecting something really crowded, based on your first post. I think it looks very nice. I agree that a small table between the two chairs would do wonders. Minor tweaks...

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I think it looks really nice too and agree about the small narrow table. I see those often at Pier One and TJmaxx.

I don't know if you need more storage space but if you add anything else try to make it multifunctional. While I like the coffee table you have now- it lightens ups the chairs and looks good, it has no storage either.

You could for instance put some kind of wicker trunk basket behind the sofa as a sofa table/storage. That kind of thing.
    Look in PB just for ideas.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are all so kind!!

RE: pulling the chairs apart and putting in a table-- absolutely. This is what DH and I would love, but we knew before we brought it home that there is NO space to do that, as then it would completely block the already blocked fireplace. (Check the picture and you will see-- there is MAYBE a foot left between the FP and chairs now, but I think more like 10 inches.) I had them pushed just a little apart, but then you can see the outlet, which is not worth it. Again, this is where I "know" what looks best (not that I always do!) but it just does not work in our tiny space.

RE: the rug, I have looked for a new rug for years without success. It needs to be CHEAP and hide wear/stains. I'd much prefer a needlepoint one, but honestly that would not be very practical here and this one is a nice, thick wool one that I got for $60. Eventually-- when I have more $ and feel like making new curtains-- I will get an antique persian (sometimes they come up on CL for not a terrible price), make new curtains, get a more rustic coffee table, etc. But then I'd have to repaint my hot pink door, and I want to keep that longer, too!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Two more things--- re: painting the walls- not going to happen. I'd change any of the accessories before I do that, inc. making new curtains. I wanted something very neutral on the walls, so DH painted a few yrs ago (only 2)-- I looked for years for that color-- and DH will probably not paint again for a long time, which is why I got something so plain! (HUGE job considering we have little children and it can only be done at night . . .he isn't home until late!)

The reason I have those curtains was because I could not change our rug or sofas (they were maroon-ish) and needed to find something to sort of tie the two together. I still have the fabric so will make some pillows for the sofa w/that fabric as well as something in the pink/dark pink in it.

Someday I will make some slipcovers for the chairs to bring in some contrast/pattern, too.

2nd thing-- what is up with all of these pop-up ads? Is it just me with a virus here or is it the site?

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Pull the chair on the left of the photo to the left. It doesn't have to line up with the carpet. You can get very narrow side tables that would fit in there.

You might try playing around with those chairs so that the left on is angled and blocking some of the bookcase. But I guess that would block someone from watching the TV

But if you do nothing, it still looks great and not overcrowded. 5 kids and white slipcovers - let us know how that works out.

• runninginplace
    12 years ago

Anele, would you consider putting blinds on your windows, instead of curtains? Looking at the room, I also agree it has a very charming cottage vibe. I think if you put in something very neutral on the windows that kept that feel, like 2" white wood blinds, it would be one less focus area for the eye. Given that your windows seem to be relatively small it won't be a case of messing up a focus point, and it would have a nice clean look.

Enjoy your new room!
    Ann

• roarah
    12 years ago

Will the love seat fit where the two chairs are? I am guessing not but if they do you can probally separate the chairs at a bit of angel where the love seat is now? Sorry if you have already tried that and if it does not work your room is lovely as is!!!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Well I really like it ALOT! And I here ya about those small rooms and kids. Our LR is 12x13 and the Ektorp sectional is on my list.

May I ask if you tried flip flopping the chairs and love seat?

I know that the 2 chairs pushed together are wider than the loveseat but I thought that if they were in the loveseat spot then you might be able to angle them in a bit and be able to get the small table in between like mentioned above. I also thought that you would be able to scooch the chairs closer to the sofa to help open up the walking path by the bookcases since the chairs sise by side are wider than the loveseat.

It looks wonderful! I'm so happy to see them in your space because now it shows me that I am going in the right direction.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

The rug isn't bothering me- I like the contrast. I would consider ditching the lamp for wall mounted swing arms.
    But you do have room for a narrow table- some of these are under ten inches wide and as deep as a chair- and I would add it. It's a place to set a drink, etc. and makes chairs all the better.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

It's so pretty! I was expecting something that wouldn't allow people to move around or to have to squeeze in. It doesn't look like that at all and is very inviting. I agree about moving the chairs a bit to the left (maybe even angled a bit) with a table between. I think you are a brave woman to have white furniture with all those kids!

• nellie820
    12 years ago

Anele:

I love your room. It's cheery and cozy and I'm envious of the bookcases. Regarding a table for the chairs, I've used a plant stand. They are cheap ($10 or less), small - about 6"x6", and give you a spot to set down your drink. Of course with 5 kids and white slipcovers maybe you don't want them to take food into the family room! I've never managed that. Enjoy your space!!

• HomeMaker
    12 years ago

I imagined a much more crowded space, but it's great!
    Looks like a wonderful place for a family to spend time together. Congratulations!

Two suggestions, if I may.

As ttodd suggested, flipping the two chairs and the loveseat would be my first choice.

If that doesn't work, others suggested making room for a table. You could push the lamp a bit more into the corner and pull the left chair a bit towards the lamp. That would leave you room for a narrow table between the two chairs.

About the art for above the fireplace.
    With all those kids (lucky you!) you should check your local thrift stores for a frame that would be the right size, and get your kids to make you that art. :)

• teacats
    12 years ago

Wonderful!! Very warm and charming and cozy! :) LOVE the bookcases!

Yes -- do try flipping the chairs and the loveseat -- and then -- if you can -- post a photo ... always interesting to see if a suggested change works ... and ttodd always has great ideas! :)

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you!!! We are about to head out to the zoo so will be back later with more, but quickly:

(1) If I move the one chair to the left, does it matter that chairs will not even remotely be centered under the small window? If not, I could get the table (if only moving the left chair) and even get wall lamps instead of the floor lamp. (You'd see the cord, however-- no wiring.)

(2) RE: flipping chairs and loveseat-- chairs are much bigger than the loveseat. Wall is more space than the open part of the floor (where LS is now). If I have them flipped and separate the chairs even a little, there will be NO path-- at all-- to get into the room. So, not possible. :(

(3) RE: blinds, I used to have wooden blinds and I did not like them-- we spent the most on the blinds (only new thing in the room when we moved in) nd DH was upset when I took them down! Took me a long time to save for curtains. They look better open (I agree-- heavy when open)-- there are sheers under there-- not so heavy. I had to get a heavy color before to balance out the heavy feel (color and texture) of old sofas. White blinds would not look as bad as the color I had, but do not work for me with children for a few reasons. Sadly, too, it's a dark room so the curtains let in more light. I do like white blinds or shutters in cottage-y rooms . . .but only if they have moulding/trim around windows. Our windows have no trim! We have ugly windows!!!

nellie-- bookcases are cheap Billy ones from IKEA. Room was decorated around TV being right in the middle of the biggest wall (DH's only decorating request) so I had to "distract" from the TV being there, ha, ha! Pretty much only kids' books in there.

THANK YOU AGAIN, everyone!!!!

• bestyears
    12 years ago

A wonderful room that is likely to host many happy family memories!
    I was going to post earlier about swapping the chairs and loveseat, but was having trouble posting, so glad others suggested it. One other thing: I think the tiny window is a bit of a negative focal point -and the tiny little tie-back curtains accentuate its teeny size. Could you possibly install a woven shade there, pull it down all the way so that it hangs behind the couch and then put fulll length panels there, on either side of that window?

• Happyladi
    12 years ago

I was expecting much worse, it doesn't look bad at all. I assume that the white covers can be machine washed. I also like the idea of a very narrow table between the chairs.

About those bookcases, are they attached to the walls so that a child can't pull one over?

• Fori
    12 years ago

What the heck!!??

I was expecting something that looked like MY living room that would make me feel like I'm not the only one, but all I see is a nicely arranged tidy room I'd be very happy to have.

Stop panicking and come do my room please!

• User
    12 years ago

I expected to see something really crowded but your room looks nice.

My LR has a loveseat that would look better replaced with a chair but honestly, I'm not willing to give up that extra seat the loveseat provides. It's useful when we have company and we plan on having a couple kids. When the time comes it will probably be replaced with an other loveseat.

I'm sure you know this but just remember - we all like pretty and pretty that's functional but sometimes we can't have the room look exactly like we want and meet all our needs. At the end of the day you'll have a cozy space for your family to get together and that time is more important that a "perfectly" decorated space. :)

But again, your room looks very nice. Try not to let those little details bug you too much.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

A room with books and big, comfortable and cozy seating. What's not to like? As you continue to layer and add more it will just get better.

This has been done so much but I think the look and function would be great in your room as a small table.

• erinsean
    12 years ago

I like your room also. To answer your question, no, I do not think it would look odd if the chairs were not centered under the window. If you were to move the left chair over, and put a table between them with a lamp on it, I think it would be fine. Since you want to use your floor lamp, could you use it on the chair side, next to the fireplace? And please do not use tiebacks on your curtain...let them hang straight. When you hang your new rod, you could maybe hang it outside the window so that the drapes uncover the window glass altogether giving it more presence...(look more substantial)Also when you have your chairs arranged, how about putting the two hanging picture on the left side of the window...one above the other.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

best and grandma-- only reason the tiebacks were there-- again, function! I had them hanging straight down, but once we opened the window, the breeze would always blow them closed, blocking air from coming in. That's why I literally found some scrap fabric and just hastily tied them back. :)

RE: long woven panel-- you mean going over the wall? Do you have any pics of this? Can't visualize. At this point, can't make long curtains (no fabric left-- got that fabric for $3.95/yd and it's normally $22) BUT eventually I will replace all curtains, so that may be an idea for the future.

RE: white covers, yes, machine washable. I got white because (a) super cheap (easily replaced) and (b) can use oxyclean or bleach if need be (I avoid bleach!). Will see if it is true what I have read repeatedly, that white is the easiest color for slipcovers with kids and pets!! I'll report back on that! Maybe it is a bad idea!

happy, yes, all of the bookcases are braced. We brace almost everything around here! The TV is also braced to the wall.

fori, hahahah-- I doubt it re: your room. Seriously. Come over and see my room in person-- even smaller than you can imagine!

shee, yes, this is what it comes down to-- not the ideal set-up but like you said, now we just don't want to give up the space. It sounds like you have a good purpose for your loveseat-- now and in the future.

deedee, I will try that soon-- not sure if we have enough nice books but that looks cute. I need more help with the layering that you suggested . . .that is exactly the look I like, but now with white feel like I am starting all over again.

grandma, OK about the chairs . . .I do not want to accent that window, so maybe if I try to find (or as suggested, put the kids' art) art over the FP and the left chair, I can use that as more of my way to "center" things vs. the window. Like I said-- have to use tiebacks, but only when the window is open. RE: hanging the rod, not sure what you mean about the hanging it outside the window? Do you mean that the rod should extend? If so, it will. I always meant to get two sheer panels, too (right now just one is there), so that is on my list as well to give it more of a substantial feel. I like your ideas about the pictures-- I think if I get the pictures right it will help with the chair/window issue.

Thank you again for your continued input. You are giving me the courage to get a small table, which is what we really wanted. I am thinking I could paint it with the worn look to pick up the green from the curtain or maybe a darker pink. DH is the only male in the family (so far, 4 girls)-- does not care how feminine the room looks, thankfully. Like I said, even our front door is hot pink and he is OK with it. (He forgets how things look within 3 days!)

Thank you again . . .there is no place else in the world where I get this kind of feedback.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

A larger, square coffee table or even ottoman would look and function better.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Ditto what everyone said about how wonderful that space is! It just makes me smile picturing it filled with you and the kids (DH, too)! It also makes me want to redo my rooms.

• dorothy9_gw
    12 years ago

What about finding shutters that would fit that small window and paint them the same color as your walls. I think that might be the way to go. It isn't anything you want to have stand out and you may be able to find shutters at yard sales or thrift shops eventually. You could paint poster board or whatever in your room color and stand it in front of the window to get an idea of how that would look. I think the rest of your room is good, it is just that smallish window that bothers me.
    d

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

Ah, I love white slipcovers. I hope they never go out of style. They suit your room to a T.

Since you can't swap the chairs and loveseat, I 'd try putting the chairs on an angle in front of that corner with the lamp behind and the aforementioned table in between them. The only thing that bothers me a teensy bit about the layout now is that the fireplace looks somewhat crowded and angling the chairs would alleviate that.

Have you checked out sisal or seagrass rugs? Super cheap and look lovely with slips.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I really like the shutters idea!

• chispa
    12 years ago

I think it also looks fine, but I would have considered a second loveseat instead of the 2 chairs. Is it too late to exchange?

• sloyder
    12 years ago

I think the chairs look too big for the space.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dorothy, I like the idea of shutters a lot for that little window, only there is no trim around it. May be able to talk DH into putting some in-- not sure if he has the tools to do it.

marcolo, yes, a square table would be nice but I got an oval intentionally because we have small children so there are no corners. Matching ottoman would be one more thing to clean-- so, can't do that.

daisy, unfortunately, angling the chairs actually blocks the fireplace more. I agree the FP is blocked too much. It has been for a long time, but worse now. We can remove it completely (the FP). One more thing that is less than perfect about the room! re: sisal and seagrass, yes, I looked into this before but could never find out for sure if they are soft and don't show stains-- both musts here for the floor. What is your experience about this?

chispa, we were originally going to get 2 LS but DH wanted more variety. Kids love the chairs. We could exchange but would lose $.

sloyd, yes, I agree they look too big. Again, not perfect.

I definitely think the floor lamp needs to go and we will need something on the wall instead for lighting.

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

Are you saying you could easily move the fireplace (as in freestanding)? If so, I would try moving it out of the room. To me, everything else looks just fine (but I would separate the chairs with a table).

We have had a few different sisal type rugs over the last 12 years. Some are soft and hide stains really well, others not so much. Very important to see in person. One we have now in the dining room is a very solid colour and doesn't hide stains so much, but having said that, I've been able to get all the stains out of it except for one red sharpie mark. I love them, some people hate them. Definitely find a cheap one to start to see if you like. I think it would make your drapes flow better in the room if you had a sisal, but you have to find something that works for your family too.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

daisy, yes, we can move the FP out completely. It may be something I do eventually, but for now it is one of those things I still like even though it does not look quite right, if that makes sense. I sort of like, too, that the bottom is blocked because it is just an electric FP and the inside looks tacky. We get the warmth and mantel but I don't have to see the tacky logs!

RE: the rug, do you think that the softness relates to the quality? What about the stains-- what do you think makes the difference? As much as I love, love, love the look of them, I will probably have to stick to a patterned rug of some sort for awhile . . .but someday when I have more $ it could be a new rug and new curtains.

I was thinking about my too-small window. The pics I have are too small. If I get some almost oversized ones, would that balance out the big chairs and distract from/" lengthen" the window? Sort of like when you put small pictures together to make a collection?

I still need to think about the lighting since I am not going to have a floor lamp now.

TY again!!!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, now I just feel like giving up on decorating completely. The Ektorp felt comfy at the store, but not so great at home . . .now I am suddenly getting pains in my neck and back and I wonder if it is from the Ektorp.

Of course, we threw all the packaging away. We'd lose a lot to return it, and so much work to return as well.

I wonder if everyone who likes the Ektorp likes the older ones, which had feathers in it. The newer ones do not.

I am sitting on my old sofa as I write this. UGH.

• abundantblessings
    12 years ago

Hi Anele, congrats on the new baby! You've created a warm and welcoming family space, and that's far more important than the perfect accessories. Kudos!

This may have been previously suggested, but here's my take. I like the floor lamp where it is, but I'd move the left chair a bit closer to it and angle it toward the sofa. The chair by the fireplace might be better angled slightly towards the bookcase. As it is they look a bit too much like soldiers lined up under the window. If you placed castors under the feet that allowed them to be turned easily, then they can be repositioned appropriately for tv viewing or games, conversations, etc. Add a small storage table between the chairs.

Since you like the FP, definitely keep it for its homey touch.

I'd run a seam between the two panels and make a 3-dogs style easy-peasy roman shade over blinds or shutters. use your pink accent color as trim or a for a more muted look a green from the panels. Many homes don't have trim these days, so that shouldn't be a concern for inside mount.

Try turning the table in the other direction to see if it fills the space better. Ideally, you'd find a larger round table, but you have lots of other priorities so I'd not be in a hurry to spend $. Congrats again and enjoy your family!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

abundant, thank you so much for the congratulations!

I know what you mean re: the chairs. What I just tried was to angle the one near the lamp more then the one by the FP. I moved it over more, too, as you said, and the light is closer. Blocks some of the bookcase but that's OK. Not sure if I can fit a table between them with the angle but will look for a very narrow one.

The chairs angled (well, really the left one by the bookcase) looks much better . . .just need to change the outlet cover that shows. (DH bought all brassy ones . . .I do not like attention drawn to outlet covers!) I kept thinking I need to angle the chairs the same, which was not really possible w/o blocking a ton more of the FP.

I love the idea of the roman shade. Adding trim would be great.

I will try moving the table, too.

Hopefully these pieces will break in (not break, haha) by 6 months, as I have read.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Everything looks so pretty! Sorry to hear it's uncomfortable-I'm sure they will be broken in in 6 months.

Enjoy every day with your five kids- like you've heard a million times, they grow up so fast!

• User
    12 years ago

To make it look less crowded:

1 - Make the curtains on the small window match the walls. they are a dark blob in what could be a spacious wall.

2 - Use (oddly enough) fewer things on the walls and FP, but larger. It looks cluttered.

3 - Move the books that stick out of the bookcase somewhere else.

• erinsean
    12 years ago

For a table between the chairs...look for a "chairside table" They are narrower than a regular end table. Mine are leather-like with wrought iron legs and are just wide enough for a lamp, telephone and a cup of coffee (?). I have another one that is glass topped, wrought iron, with magazine rack on the bottom. Husband loves it by his chair.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

Can you really move the FP? If so, how about trying the FP under the small window with the two chairs angled in front and slightly overlapping either side with a small oval table between the two chairs. I wouldn't worry about a coffee table for now; in fact, if you could add some end tables between the sofa and loveseat/chairs, I would remove it entirely and allow the center to be open for kids/baby to lounge around and play.

• amj0517
    12 years ago

bookcases are cheap Billy ones from IKEA. Room was decorated around TV being right in the middle of the biggest wall (DH's only decorating request) so I had to "distract" from the TV being there, ha, ha! Pretty much only kids' books in there.

In all your free time (ha ha) would you be able to take a picture of the bookcase wall? My DH also likes the TV to be the center of attention. I'd love to see how you made it look like a built-in.

Thanks!

• loribee
    12 years ago

The fact that a busy mom like you has accomplished all this is amazing! Your room is cottage darling and family-friendly! :)

• flowermum
    12 years ago

Very adorable room. I do agree with lazygardens though, I would definitely swap the patterned curtain on the small window for just a plain and simple floor length drape/sheer in the same or similar color of the sheer you currently have there.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nancy-- thank you! And yes, so true . . .so fast!

lazy-- I agree with everything you've said. Those things have bothered me as well. Most of the books sticking out I can't change, but someday I will (when the kids are older). I have been looking for larger pieces for the FP and other wall for a long time, ditto for what goes on the FP. Just too hard to find things without a lot of shopping trips to the flea market, and I rarely get to do that! The curtains will change eventually, too. Now I can go in a totally different direction with color, when I have the time and $!

val, I see where you are going with the FP but there isn't enough room to do that (such a small room). If I can someday get an ottoman I will remove the table!

amj, I will get that pic up for you soon. It does not really look built in though . . .it is nowhere near what I'd like it to look like in terms of how it is arranged, either.

lori, thank you-- you rooms have always been very inspirational to me.

flower, I would like the floor length idea but not sure how it would work with the chairs against the wall . . .no room to push them far enough out so that the curtains would not be smooshed. Ideas?

Thank you again, everyone!!

• flowermum
    12 years ago

If you select a floor length panel/sheer for the short window, I believe it would be thin enough as not to cause a problem behind the chairs. One other thing, if you did go that route you could make throw pillows or even a valance with the drapes from the short window~~which would bring the color around to the chairs.