SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

Plate Racks come in lots of styles

User
12 years ago

I've been watching this for several years. The cabinet makers seem to think that a nod to plateracks in their line for sale is totally adequate, and they all look exactly alike.

Well, I'm really fond of plate racks. They are right up there with shutters, to give a linear look to a space, plus they show a lot of pretty stuff in a way that is easy on the eye, as well as easy to access when you get ready to use something.

Plate racks I first saw were part of the British Smallbone kitchens, very lovely of course. But when I started looking at homemade kitchens, such as the ones I might build or find in my grandma's day, I see that most farmers would be able to build one to fit exactly the space they have available. Now THAT is something I can buy into!!

So I am beginning this discussion with some saved pics from my computer. I will be using one or two plate racks in my kitchen redo, since they give a more open and light feeling as compared to even glass fronted cabs. I do not plan to have UPPER CABS, although I might wind up with solid all-the-way-up tall pantry cabs flanking my fridge and maybe my dining room window seat. But we shall see what is in the budget next year.

Hmmm, this one may be the previous one from a different angle. Anyway, it features the appliance garage beneath it, right?

This one demonstrates what I mean about making one to fit your use, individual as all heck, right?

This is so simple it may have been a high school craft project?

And this one is so elegant, it is in a white kitchen collection somewhere, but it is like a wedding cake.

Then the grand finale--for now anyway--this shows an OPEN BACKED plate rack mounted over a window so light still comes through. I hung my stemware over a window, going side to side and of course that was all clear and it sparkled, even though I'd wash them frequently when dust collected. But you always have room in the dishwasher for a couple more stemware things, right? Note that there is the piece of another plate rack visible on the left, so this kitchen has many windows making upper cabs impossible, but the plate racks serve to filter some of the light AND provide storage.

And that is it for now. I still have some subjects that I want to raise questions about, so I hope you guys all need something to think about that does not require any physical effort while you get the kiddies ready for the new school year.

AND, I hope YOU have some nice dish/plate rack pictures to contribute to the thread.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!