SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loridarlin_gw

Exwife, What would you do?

loridarlin
16 years ago

I will try to make this as short as I can. I was doing some research last night and found this site. Hello to all I am new. I am a mom of 2 ages 10 and 11. I am married to a sweet heart of a man who has two children also ages 8 and 11. We have been together for about 3 years. His Ex- wife has done nothing but try and cause us trouble sence day one. As for me I understand why she is not happy with me. She feels I have taken something from her but It is really getting bad now. She has went to the school and pulled my kids NOT Theirs out of class and told them if they needed anyone she would be there and they could tell her anything and she would keep it a secret. She then made threats toward my kids later and when I called her she pressed phone harrasment charges on me. ( I called one time and it lasted like a minute) She has tried to get me fired from my job 3 different times. Spreads rummors about me to no end. Last week Child services called us and I was being accused of abusing there daughter. Well they came out talked to us came out again and talked to all the kids and they said they were closing our case because there was no reason to pursue it. Well she found out Yesturday and she went to the school and I dont know what she told them but now they have called on me. I dont know what to do anymore. I try to stay away from her. I always do the best I can for our kids. Its a mess. I feel like I am in a whole. Oh and did I mention my hubbys mother stays over there at her house to take care of there kids when it is her week to have them! So no I dont talk to MIL either. Anyone have any ideas what I can do on my part to put a stop to all this? Yes, he needs to do his part I know. But there has to be something I can do. Any help is appretiated.

Comments (52)

• mom2emall
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I agree with the other posters. Call the police and see what action you can take against her for pulling YOUR children out of class. Call and mail a certified letter to the school and administration center in your district letting them know which people are allowed to speak to your children or pick up your children at school and how unhappy you are that she would be allowed to pull your children out of class. Speak to a lawyer about her harassment against you guys. Call child services and discuss these issues with them as well, the do not like being used as revenge between ex spouses. Maybe you can get a restraining order or order of protection for you and your bio kids against her. Then she would not be allowed at your home, work, school, etc or to call your workplace. If she violated that restraining order there would be warnings and then consequences for her.

If none of that works then you may need to reevaluate your situation and see if this is something you and your children can deal with.

• tiredofthedrama
    16 years ago

You can probably get a restaining order against her depending on what she did to try and get you fired. My exH sent a letter to my job with profanity in it to try and get me fired. I was able to get a restaining order against him for harassment. I would also talk to my children and let them know not to go with her if she comes to the school and to scream or whatever to let someone she should not be contacting them. She seems a little unstable & like she would go to any means to disrupt your home and try to hurt you. I wouldn't allow this BM to tear up my home. It would make me mad and more determined to make my marriage work. And Prayer is allows an answer!! It works!!

• Related Discussions

I'm dating a separated man... how do i deal with the ex-wife's pr

Q

Comments (5)
    illy, It is easy to overlook some things when we want to be with someone. Your boyfriend was not ready and is still not ready to make a promise to you. Life is too precious to make a serious decision and then "hope" life will turn out good. You are already unhappy. No, No, No Walk away and don't look back. Best to you.
    ...See More

Pool owners: Would would you do if you could do it again?

Q

Comments (3)
    We live in South FL, In previous homes we had the textured concrete & pavers. They both needed pressure washing after time. We are building another pool now and decided to go with pavers, no staining, not slippery for kids, not 100% crazy about it but we Are going with it.
    ...See More

What to do on this 8ft slider..what would you do???

Q

Comments (3)
    I have an 8 foot slider just like this, facing the west. I have a pole rod with fabric panels at both ends and heavily-textured semi sheers in the middle. The rods extend just a bit beyond the doors on the sides so I can push everything out of the way if I want, or pull them all closed in the afternoon to shut out the sun.
    ...See More

Custom closets: what do you love in yours or what would you change?

Q

Comments (18)
    It sounds like you made really good choices. I was in your position a year ago and we moved into our house 8 months ago. We also used California Closets and I was very happy with the experiences. Having your shoe shelves be non-angled is very practical in case you want to use that space for storing other things in the future (which you couldn't do easily with slanted shelves). I also upgraded to the soft-close dovetail drawers, which I love. The only thing I sort of regret is letting my designer talk me into a few frosted glass door fronts. She wanted it to feel more open and for me to be able to "display" beautiful handbags, etc. but the reality is that it's a closet and not a display space and I would rather have had totally concealed storage. I am happy with the accessories I chose: a jewelry drawer, safe, tilt-out hampers, ironing board that tucks into a drawer, full length mirror, pull-out rod and belt rod. For my kids' small walk-in closets, we got full-length mirrors (that fold away) and pull-out hampers. For my youngest daughter's (10 years old) closet, I did not pay close enough attention to the height of the hanging sections. One section is too high for her to reach so I ordered extra shelves to put in that area until she gets taller. Same thing for the drawer sections. She can reach the top 2 drawers to open them but she isn't tall enough to see what is in them. I also wish we would have been able to have pocket doors for the smaller walk-in closets but our room design did not allow for this. For the benefit of other readers looking at closet options, yes, CC is pricey but they really do handle EVERYTHING from the design to the installation and the clean-up. I wanted/needed help to design our spaces to maximize storage space and could not do that without the help of the designer. I did look at The Container Store's custom system (not elfa) but when I went to the store to open drawers, see the finishes, etc. to get a sense for the quality, they felt flimsy compared to CC. I did notice, however, that they have recently revised their custom closet offerings so maybe they have improved.
    ...See More
  • imamommy
    16 years ago

I agree with Cawfe, talk to a supervisor at children's services, not just a case worker. I would also talk to the school (in addition to sending the letter) and keep in communication with them. Avoiding them makes it easier for them to believe whatever she says about you. If you are there and they get to know you, it would be harder to just take her word for it. I would also let them know that this is an ongoing problem that it's also carried over to your work and home life. The schools usually don't want to get involved with custody/harassment problems where they will have to go to court, etc. However, they do care about the kids and if they see you are involved and not the monster she may be portraying you to be, they might begin to write her off as looney.

I'd only get a restraining order if you think she's dangerous and may harm you. The truth is, it won't help because a piece of paper is not going to stop her from harassing you. It can give you the option to file charges against her for violating it, but all of that keeps you engaged in the battle she is enjoying. She has you stressed out, her in your thoughts, and she is enjoying every minute that she interrupts your life, especially if you and hubby get into disagreements over it. Her goal is to make you as miserable as she is and it's working. I would be proactive and keep in touch with the school & children's services, (and let the kids know to tell you if she bothers them again) and I would ignore her. Disengage from her and don't respond to her. If you don't play the game with her, she will eventually get tired of playing it by herself.

I'm confused about why MIL is there but my guess is that MIL liked her and doesn't like you (or not happy that her son divorced her) but regardless, don't count on MIL for anything and don't share any info with her either. No matter what, it will turn out to be used against you in some way, no matter how innocent it may be.

Good luck.

• loridarlin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to everyone who answered. When she pulled my kids out I did go to the school and explained everything. They said they would watch my kids when she is there. But in my opinion she should not be able to hang out in the class room with them. I mean I dont care if the teacher is there or not. It makes my son uncomfortable. I plan on going back up there tomorrow. Over this whole matter. Child Services has come here and been to school. I plan on calling them to. My hubby thinks I dont have enought to press charges or get a restraining order but I feel differently. I guess I just wanted to see if I was the only one who thought as the way you all have. I have ignored her and she wont go away. Every couple of months it is something new. As for MIL I dont and wont talk to her. She says she stays there for the kids and that is all well and good but I dont trust her so there for I dont talk to her. Anyway thanks to all who took the time to answer.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

"Picking up" someone else's children is also known as... abduction.

Call the police RIGHT NOW.

This woman is dangerous.

• bnicebkind
    16 years ago

When you say that you understand why she is not happy with you, and that she feels that you took something that belonged to her...did you? Did you have an affair with her husband while she was still married to him?

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

doesn't matter if OP was the other woman, or if OP is the devil in disguise;
    this is about obsession, stalking, & abduction.

OP's husband's ex is obsessed with OP, & not only has she been stalking OP, she's now stalking OP's children & has abducted them.

sounds like Fatal Attraction, & it's just as dangerous.
    (remember the rabbit? The rabbit was a message that the stalker could just as easily have done the same thing to the child.)

This woman *took someone else's children* & told them she'd help them *& it would be a secret*.

That's a message.

& she sits in their classrooms???
    so now she's stalking the kids.

She's unhinged, she's crazy, she's a menace to OP's kids, she's *dangerous*.

Forget going through the courts:

Call the COPS.
    Do it NOW.

ps: Your husband "doesn't think" you have "enough evidence"?

so he's sitting on his hiney "staying out of it"?

I'm sure he'd dress up nicely & look properly solemn at your funeral.

& that would be the extent of the effort he'd expend.

& then he'd find a new wife.

I don't think you got a very good deal in a husband.

• colleen777
    16 years ago

I agree completely. The woman is dangerously out of control and action needs to be taken now!

• theotherside
    16 years ago

I don't get it - did she take your kids out of class or was she merely in their classroom? Is her child in the class as well?

This all sounds a little suspicious - I really doubt that any school in the United States would allow someone who was not a relative pull kids out of class.

• kkny
    16 years ago

TOS, give up, these people only suspect moms, not SMs stories.

• bnicebkind
    16 years ago

sylvia, she did not abduct the kids. She simply talked to them at school. Out of line and inappropriate, I agree, but she did not abduct them. Big difference. And many (if not most) bio moms AND step moms spread rumors about each other. However, she is obviously obsessed with you and causing a lot of trouble for you. Contact an attorney and find out what you can do to get this to stop.

• loridarlin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello everyone, let me try to explain alittle better there is some confusion and a question. First off no I was not the other woman. But she swares I was. But I was not.
    Anyway, Like I said I try to stay away from her and all that. In the last few years she has slandered my name to every one she come in contact with. Oh well I dont care. Its only words and people who know me know she is lying. She has called the place I work several times telling lies trying to get me fired but I have been there 5 years and the last time she called they told her they would call the cops if she called again.
    When I said she talked to my kids. Yes all our kids go to the same school. At that time all four did now my daughter in in middle school. When she went to school. She went to there class asked to speak to them and told them if they ever needed to talk to some one she'd be there and they could tell her anything but she wanted them to keep it a secret that she talked to them. When I found out I went to school and told them and they said they would take care of it. I called her and raised *** she pressed charges for phone harrasment. There have been many things over the years. Like having her son call here and tell me he hates me and my kids. He is 11. He is a mess when he gets back and tells me she makes him do it.
    As for what is happening now. I called Child Services today they told me my case is closed because they found nothing. That her kids had no complaints or my kids and that from what they could see the kids are well taken care of.
    She went to school today and had lunch with her son. No biggie huh? She told 6 kids at the next table they would be her witnesses that she has not touched or talked to my son.( I had several parents call me) She sit right beside him with her back to him. MY SON.
    I am going to school in the morning. I am also calling the police department to see what I can do legally. Hubby is calling Our lawyer to start procedings for custody. At first it was the jeoluse X trying things just to try and interuped our happy home. But now yes it is getting dangerous and if the school can do no better I am switching my son to another school.
    theotherside, You are right what she is doing isnt allowed and its time they explain to my why they are letting it happen. I am contacting the school board tomorrow to.
    Thanks to everyone.

• theotherside
    16 years ago

Huh? It sounded from your description that she DIDN'T touch or talk to your son, and wanted to make sure that there were witnesses to that.

If her children are in the same class, or the same lunchroom, as your kids, and she is not talking to your children, what is she doing wrong?

On what basis is your H seeking a change in custody? I would think that would be very difficult, especially since Child Services found that her children were well taken care of.

• imamommy
    16 years ago

Child services were investigating OP and found the children were well taken care of and closed the case. I don't think they have investigated the psychotic woman that is stalking her children.

Let me use a scenario you might understand tos, let's say a BM is living with her DH. DH has kids and they all go to school together, DH's exwife goes to the school and tells the kids, "I'm here if you need me, let's keep this a secret". BM tells exW to stay away from her kids and tells the school, keep her away from my kids. Then she goes to have lunch and sits right next to the BM's child, even though she didn't 'say' anything, she sat right next to him which is antagonistic toward BM, since she likely knows she'll find out. It's a 'look, I can do what I want' tactic and she does sound dangerous. This really isn't a step issue, it's a BM's concern for her kids from a crazy obsessed exwife.

• loridarlin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

YES imamommy, Thank you! That is exactly what I am saying. theotherside, What did she do wrong? She is setting the stage for something bad. She dragged 6 other 11,12 year olds into it as witnesses. Would you like a strange woman telling your kid there are her witnesses?? DH is seeking custody as she has proven lately she is very unstable. VERY UNSTABLE.
    We have 2 files completely full with things she has done in last 2 years alone. It won't be a problem.

• midwestmommy
    16 years ago

The woman is crazy with jealousy. It has to be the 'dont know what you have until it's gone' syndrom. In either case, what is the deal with this school? I would be complaining to the school board that 1. they keep letting this woman in and 2. even if her kids go to the school also what in the world is she doing in the lunchroom?!

Regardless if she has children that go to the school or not, the school should only be allowing any parent to go to the office and have school staff remove children from class if needed. I think the school is just as at fault here. What if, god forbid, a child of the school had a crazy parent who was a sex offender? would they just let that parent into the lunchroom too?

• theotherside
    16 years ago

I want to know - did she really go into the school, ask that your children be removed from their classes so she could talk to them, and the school called them down to the office or wherever and allowed her to meet with them privately (otherwise it wouldn't have been much of a secret)? You expect people to actually believe that is how it went down?

Was she not also sitting her own child?

You said only your daughter was in middle school, so this is presumably the elementary school. Since when is sixth grade not in middle school? At 11, your daughter is in middle school - it is unlikely that she is in 7th grade. I find it hard to believe that there would be "11 and 12 year olds" in 5th grade. Certainly some eleven year olds, but if they were fifth graders, it would be "6 other 10,11 year olds," not 11,12 year olds. This story has too many inconsistencies in it to be believable.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

sorry, I did mis-read/misunderstand;
    I thought "pulled out of class" was "pulled out of school".

If you knew you weren't allowed contact with a certain child, & you wanted to have lunch with your child at the same school, wouldn't you have your child sit at a table far away from the other child rather than *sit next to* the "prohibited" child & involve a bunch of kids as "witnesses"?

sounds like more taunting, more messages, more like that rabbit.

"See what I can do when you aren't around?"

• theotherside
    16 years ago

At my child's elementary school, the children were required to sit at a certain table.

• cawfecup
    16 years ago

Its called INITIMIDATION..... TOS you whack... how would you feel if SM went into your youngests school and sat with a child niece nephew the kid down the road.... and was just there not saying anything to your child but saying things that could be construed as something totally different.

The BM is a "bully"... who cares what age her child is who cares what grade the kid is in ... what if the kid stayed behind a year and yes some elementary schools have 6th grade.

As an 11 yr old the child is being intimidated by an adult... you have never been in a situation as a child where an adult did something you knew was wrong but couldn't/wouldn't do anything about it???? other than tell your parents??? because you were a scared kid???

I thought we were supposed to protect the children!!!

• cawfecup
    16 years ago

Lori.... the following will hold true in any post on this forum.

Some people on here no matter what ... will defend BM its doesn't matter what the BM does ... she's the mom she needs to be defended poor thing She could be a crack dealing whore and some will defend her like she is mother teresa .... It does not matter what BM does she is doing it for her children... good or bad(evil) it doesn't matter.

As a SM you are wrong you knew he had kids and BM should be put on a pedestal because she birthed children ... she could have left them for dead from the time she gave birth it does not matter....

BMs are to be praised for doing what they do good or bad.
    SMs are to be castrated for doing what they do good or bad.

All SM's are EVIL.
    ALL BM's are GOOD.

Even though you are a BM doesn't matter... you are now a SM so you are EVIL.

*** Not my opinion just an observation.

• sweeby
    16 years ago

"I find it hard to believe that there would be "11 and 12 year olds" in 5th grade."
    My 12 year old is in fifth grade. So is his best friend.

Many schools will pull a child out of class for a minute or two if a parent requests it. No, not just that child's parent as it ought to be -- but any parent. It's wrong, but it happens. Her motives could have been perfectly innocent - invite child to birthday party, soccer practice is cancelled, girl scout meeting starts earlier... They weren't. The school has now been notified, and IMO, they should be notified again and asked to keep an eye on this woman as her behavior appears threatening.

And as for BioMom's lunch stunt -- She was absolutely doing the "See what I can do - You can't keep me away" maneuver. She absolutely has the right to have lunch with her own child, but to sit near the other child, to deliberately and obviously ignore that child, and to tell the others they are witnesses is scary. Yes, she acted within her legal rights, but her behavior illustrates her intent. Had she simply wanted to see her own child and to genuinely not bother the other, she would have invited her child to sit with her at another table.

Lori - I know you must be very worried, but please be sure you are totally calm and rational when talking with the school. Your opponent is a sicko...

• imamommy
    16 years ago

I used to go have lunch with my son at his school. I didn't sit in the lunchroom. (yes, there were assigned tables) but parent's didn't go into the lunchroom with all the kids. There were picnic tables outside that we sat at. There was also the option of sitting in a classroom or office. I'm not sure if there were 'rules' to keep parent's out of the lunchroom, but personally, I didn't want to be in a room full of kids. What is the point of having lunch with your child? To spend time with them, you can't really do that well if you have other kids all around. and secondly, I didn't want to be around all those kids because the odds of several of them being sick were pretty good. and it was noisy.

and my SD's sister went to sixth grade at her elementary school. She just graduated last year and is now in seventh grade at her jr. high. The school my SD will go to next year is grades 4-8. Right now, she's in a great school that only goes from K-3.

• sieryn
    16 years ago

Wow...I can't believe how people jump to the defense of this BM. What she is doing is sick and unfair to put any child through...if my husbands xwife pulled my boys out of class for anything she would be having a short conversation with a baseball bat and the school would be having a long talk with my lawyer. She is completely out of bounds...I sympathize for you, take it as far up the chain as you can lori.

• sylviatexas1
    16 years ago

so assigned seating is absolute?

well, that explains it.

No teacher would ever move a child from his/her seat.

If a 400-lb-gorilla sits down next to your child in the lunchroom, no help from a teacher, your child just better have a good sandwich to share with that gorilla!

• theotherside
    16 years ago

It doesn't make sense. Her 11 year old is in middle school, yet there is a whole table of 11 and 12 year olds in elementary school. It is highly unlikely that an 11 year old would be in 7th grade, so apparently the middle school starts in 6th, if not before.

The whole thing makes no sense.

You can't go wandering around schools pulling kids out of classrooms. I can't even wander into my own kid's classroom. When you go to a school, you ring the bell, they use the security camera to see who you are, you go to the office, and then, if it is your own child, they will call him or her down.

As imamommy said, parents who come to each lunch with their child don't do so in the cafeteria.

• ceph
    16 years ago

Huh? You ring a bell and they use a camera?
    Jeez, I do outreach at schools all over the city and I just walk in the front door. I can often wander the halls for five or ten minutes before anyone spots me and asks if I need help to find someone. Most of the time there's not even a secretary in the front office!

• colleen777
    16 years ago

Clearly you don't believe what lori has written here TOS, so what do you think is her motivation for posting?

• loridarlin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well I'm back and read everyones reply. I will start with TOS. Yes my daughter is 11 soon to be 12 and in 6th grade. My step son is 11 and my son is 11 in 5th grade. The kids in his class range for probley as I do not know all of then from 9 to 11 may be older. There are no inconsisitys in what I have said I have told you repeatedly and you are trying to make it more complicated than it is. YES they let parents wonder in. I saw it my self this morning parents wondering the halls. I was there at 7:15 till 8:00 just waiting on the office to open! I stood right by the door waiting and waiting. They dont require you to come to the office. Yes she went to there class room and asked the teacher to speak to them. NO ONE knew what she was doing. Untill the next day when I went to school and told them.Yes YOU can go and sit in the caffiteria with them durning lunch or breakfast. It is a small school. AT my daughters school it is much bigger. You have to have id to pick them up and you have to have signed in to and get a pass to walk throught the halls. I have never been past the office except for a talent show in the gym. School are different just because your school is one way does not mean everyones is. OKAY??? Further more why in the world would I waste my time to come on here and lie to a bunch of strangers. I was looking for others who may have had these problems to see what they had done. I know everyone has there own opinion and everyone has a right but dont sit there and try to call some one you dont know a liar just because you are to slow to understand. Now that is my opinion. May not be right but what else can I say!
    cawfecup, Yes you are right about the observation. My kids have a step mom and she is a real sweet lady. I am lucky and so are they. But yes alot of women dont like the idea of some other woman takeing care of there child. She is one of them. Yes what she is doing is called intimidation but that works both ways. It worked to day. I did go to school I have schedual a appointment for next week with me my hubby both teachers that our kids have and the guidence councler. We are taking all our court paper from the last two year to show what we have dealt with. Several parents have written concerns of how she is draging there kids in it they will be there to. Two of them showed up to day. I waited out side for a little bit this morning she got out of her car and was headed for the school. I started walking to the same door she was walking to which was the front door and she saw me and ran back to her car. She didnt go back to school today! Tomorrow I have a appointment with our lawyer. Yes they do believe I have more than enought to press charges. So it begins.
    TOS, if you can not understand how stressful it is to worry about your child because of a woman who does everything in her control to get back at that childs mother to the point of bringing that child in it then you either have no children or you shouldnt have children.
    THAT IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY TO YOU!
    Everyone else thank you for kindly expressing what your feelings are.Thank you. Lori

• imamommy
    16 years ago

TOS lacks empathy...

and just to clarify, since she also lacks comprehension skills, I was stating that there were picnic tables available outside to have a private lunch with my child. It was not necessary for me to sit in the cafeteria, but it was allowed. I didn't want to, I was there to visit my son. I'm sure there was no reason for the exwife to sit in the cafeteria either, other than to prove she could.

and while some schools in the world are on lockdown, many are not. I can walk up to any class at any of the schools my kids or my step kids ever went to, except one high school that did have a gate that was locked when session began. There are not locked doors and camera's in every school across the country.

It really is over reaching when you would rather argue about how old her child is and whether or not he/she can be in the grade she says... that's your proof to discredit someone???

• loridarlin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I agree with you and yes you are right about different school. I dont know what TOS problem is but she can try to discredit all she wants. I dont see why she trys to make it so complicated. If the grade my kids are in is more important to her than all the crazy stuff that is happening then I have no time for her. Yeah she does lack empathy and at my current state I feel she lacks brains. You know any one can be called a mother but it takes a special woman to be called mommy. BM or SM!

• theotherside
    16 years ago

"I can often wander the halls for five or ten minutes before anyone spots me and asks if I need help to find someone. Most of the time there's not even a secretary in the front office!"

That is really scary. I would be concerned about my child's safety in such a school. Though our schools didn't have cameras until fairly recently, we were ALWAYS required to go to the office first during the school day, even before Columbine, even when my daughter who is close to thirty was in elementary school. I don't live in an urban area - it is a relatively small town, with a couple hundred kids or so in each grade.

colleen,

Surely you don't think everyone who posts on a message board is telling the truth. I am sure there are people here who make up stories to make biological mothers look bad. Some of you stepmothers claim that there have been posters here who make up stories to make stepmothers look bad. Then there are those who just like to make up outlandish stories - perhaps you remember the poster who was supposedly raised semi-Amish and whose story got more outlandish with each post. I found that one hard particularly hard to believe.

• colleen777
    16 years ago

So bloody what if YOU "think" a story isn't true? Does that make you a self righteous Angel of Death chosen to avenge what you "think" is injustice? You fool yourself into believing you are the initiator chosen to teach the betrayers "the lessons they deserve" and ALL stepmothers are betrayers to you.

You are filled with righteous resentment and an obsessive desire for revenge and are taking it out on any stepmom who happens into the web. You hurt people, and NO you don't have the right to do that.

So, who should be charged with teaching you "the lessons you deserve"?

Ask yourself this, what difference does it make to you if you "think" the semi-Amish was just a made up story? What if it was true?

• theotherside
    16 years ago

I, and everyone else here, has every right to question anything they think doesn't ring true. What the heck is your problem with that?

• mom_of_4
    16 years ago

That is crazy that you can just walk through the school with no one saying anthing or even someone at the front office.

At all of our schools for our county and the surrounding counties (because I work for a non profit that works with special needs kids with the school system) you have to sign in at the front desk (and there is always someone at the front desk) and almost always are escorted to where you want to go with a badge and some schools take it a step further and scan your id and print it onto your visitors badge with a clear expiration date printed on it. I am thrilled that there is that much concern for safety at our schools... Also, any parent that wants to volunteer and person that comes into the school, wether it is an ac repair man or people like me and my coworker we all have to have backround checks before we can do so.

• colleen777
    16 years ago

It is wildly different everywhere. Here, you can enter the school anytime, you can go anywhere, classrooms, bathrooms, cafeteria, gym. No id, no cams, no sign ins, nothing. And I live in a big city with schools with very large student bodies from diverse nationalities.

• cawfecup
    16 years ago

And if the BM is a volunteer or pta member they wouldn't question a thing she did in the school... she could/would be able to go where ever she wanted to.... she waves at the camera they open the door she signs the book and goes on her merry way.

The two boys are in the same school so BM has every right to be there ... but she doesn't have the right to intimidate another child while getting a bunch of preteens to be witnesses in court....

Think before you type it just makes you look like a fool.

Yes some stories are unreal to believe ... some of the ones we call out as not being real .... never post again... they come post one little ditty and vanish... we debate for a week to no avail and no clarification. I wonder if they sit and say ... haha bunch of women fighting over a fake story.

• imamommy
    16 years ago

The first time BM pulled SD out of school early, she just walked to the classroom and took her. She didn't sign her out through the office. In fact, the office has no record of it, the teacher is the one that called me to let me know and see if it was okay. (she went ahead and let her take her, but wasn't sure whether it would conflict with the custody agreement. DH had to give the school & teacher a copy of the agreement after that to keep her from just taking her whenever she wants.) The next time she tried to take SD early, the teacher had her go to the office first. Once the office had a copy of the agreement, which was after the second time, the school then called DH to get his permission. It's a very small school (rural) with 60 third graders. There is about 250 children in the entire school. It would be sad if they had to have camera's and locked gates or a security guard with a metal detector.

Today, I am taking my SD cupcakes for her class. I am not going to sign in, I take it to her class and leave. If I were going to be on campus for a while, then I would sign in as a visitor. Dropping off homework, a lunch or snack for the class does not require signing in as a visitor. If it did, then I would sign in.

Every school district has it's own rules and budget.

• kathline
    16 years ago

Ceph is in canada, if I remember correctly? My birth kids were mostly raised in Canadian schools, and I experienced the same thing, in that the doors are not locked, and people can enter the school freely. I doubt any teacher would allow a kid out of class to go with someone elses parent though.

FOr the most part, Canadian schools dont have the same problems that United states schools have with violence/security issues, although that is starting to change in big cities like Toronto, which have large numbers of immigrants. They have more stringent security measures in place in those schools . But for most small or medium size cities in Canada, schools are safe, and its outside of the norm for there to be serious security required at the school.

My youngest bio son is in junior high here in LA, and wow, it took some getting used to. I am not used to the living in fear attitude that seems to pervade childhood here. Parents want to protect their kids against everything, because all they seem to be able to see is the worst possible scenario. And of course, Americans are far more likely to sue if something goes wrong. Statistically you have a one in four chance of being sued in your lifetime in the United STates. Its one in 1200 in Canada.

I wonder if schools in different parts of the USA react differently to security. I am not sure what part TOS lives in.

• lonepiper
    16 years ago

"Though our schools didn't have cameras until fairly recently, we were ALWAYS required to go to the office first during the school day..."

TOS: You were "ALWAYS required" to go to the office first. Does that mean upon entering the school the visitor voluntarily proceeded directly to the office first OR was there always someone posted immediately at the entrance to ensure that the visitor proceeded directly to the office. There is a HUGE difference.

• colleen777
    16 years ago

I live in Toronto and those are the schools I am referring to that you can walk in and out of freely. Sometimes you have to look very hard to actually FIND the office.

• imamommy
    16 years ago

lol, in my kids' first high school, I had to walk through the entire school (through at least one building) to get to the office. There was nothing stopping anyone from coming onto campus.

When I went to HS, we had an open campus. Student's could leave during lunch as there were several fast food places within walking distance. There was no fence or security of any sort. That was in the late 80's.

• justnotmartha
    16 years ago

Cawfe makes a good point - if this woman is well known at the school she likely has a free pass anywhere she wants to go. As the PTA President my presence anywhere in the school at anytime is NEVER questioned, nor are my motives. I could ask to pull any child from any class and I doubt the teacher would blink an eye - they all know me and know I'm always up to something.

Perhaps if your schedule permits it it would be beneficial for you, Lori, to make your presence in more known in the school. Not so you can sneak around undetected, but so the teachers are familiar with you and your situation and will think to question this other woman conversing with your kids.

Funny but sad story - one day several years ago SD's mom was picking her up from school and had a visitor badge with her first and last name on it - at that time the same last name I have. A teacher walked by and said hi to my SD, and then asked her if mom was my sister. Ouch. Mom replied snottily that she was the 1st Mrs. 'Martha' and dragged SD away. The poor teacher was so embarrassed and apologetic when she told me about it later, saying she always assumed I was SD's mom as I had no other children in the school at that time and was so involved. She had never seen BM there before so her confusion was understandable.

• theotherside
    16 years ago

In every school that my children have attended, the office is right near the front door (would any other location be logical?) If you didn't stop at the office, even twenty years ago, someone would ask you where you were going.

When we sign in, we have to write down where we are going - which specific classroom or office. No one can just wander around. If you volunteer or work with children in any way, a background check is required.

• cawfecup
    16 years ago

I worked in the school dept in some of the schools that are about a 100 years old ... the office was where ever they could fit it... in my sons elementary school it was on the second floor in the back of the building .... still had boys entrance and girls entrance ... which is still used today.

Just because you have a clean CORI doesn't mean it can be dirtied.

And if they do them yearly or semi-annually depending on the school dept... (ours is every 2 years) ... lots of stuff can happen in 2 years....

Even daycare workers who have had clean CORIs for 20 years can have them tarnished. One report from DSS in Mass can tarnish your otherwise clean CORI.

• doodleboo
    16 years ago

Bio....Step. Who Ggive two s*&%'s. If she made your children uncomfortable take her out at the knees. Call the cops, get a restraining order. She'll be seeing her own kid's threw a glass window if she doesn't watch her behind. Children services does NOT PLAY AROUND. She had better stop acting like she's in FATAL ATTRACTIONS.

Creepy.

Also, You are ALWAYS going to be the "other woman" so I wouldn't lose any sleep over her opinions. My husbands wife cheated on him by moving another man into his house while he was on tour with his band but she STILL says I am the reason he left. LMAO, what a ding-dong. Who cares what this woman thinks. She is obviously out of her mind jealous.
    I would seriously look into get a restraining order at the very least making the report so it is on an official record.

• doodleboo
    16 years ago

Obviously ain't perfect. You here about shootings all the time. If a kid can sneak in bombs and semi automatic weapons what the hell makes anyone who isn't completely naive think an adult couldn't pull a kid out of a classroom? Please.

I could walk into my old highschool right now and not a soul would stop me.

• ceph
    16 years ago

Kath said: "But for most small or medium size cities in Canada, schools are safe, and its outside of the norm for there to be serious security required at the school."

Yup, I do live in Canada. I live in a midsized city on the prairies. Our elementary class sizes are rarely above 30 and our large high schools have 1600 or so kids. We have little in the way the way of security problems in schools.
    I have a few friends who are teachers and they've all said that if you see a strange adult wandering the hall, you ask them who they are looking for, and if you see a strange adult on the playground, you approach them immediately. One friend told me that they get staff meeting updates about any particular security risks (like nasty custody disputes) and are asked to keep an eye on that child.

There are two schools in town that I know of with high security sign-in policies:
    1) The school at the youth detention center, which is technically a public school, but few "normal" kids go there.
    2) The daycare wing at the school that has the daycare center for highschool kids with babies.

Every school and every community is different. So I don't think there's a right or wrong way... I'm just saying how it is here.

• loridarlin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do plan on going in to deep discussion to explain to them why we(me and DH) worry about this situation. I'll be the first to tell ya cant stand this woman but I have never tried to down grade her to anyone. I figure she is what she is and she needs no help from me to hurt her reputation. I even told the Principle I'm not trying to keep her away from her kids. I just want mine watched closely when she is arround. She may never do anything but there is a chance she may and My Kids are my life and that is a chance I am not willing to take. Step kids come home Sunday we have them a week then she has them a week. So all will be quite next week. Then when they go back she starts all over a gain. She was going in the school everymorning last week and comming back later in the day. I went up there Thursday and Friday morning sit in the car with my son while he had his breakfast. In the front of the school where there is a camera and all the parents and teachers were around. I never got out of my car Friday but once she saw I was there she didnt get out either. She left as soon as the kids got out of the car and she didnt come back to school. I guess if that is what I have to do everyday just to get my son some peace then so be it. With her you dont have to do much sometimes just sit there and be seen. Luckly we go Wed. to talk to all the teachers, principle ect so they will have a better understanding. As for spreading rumors. I dont bother. I have people come up to me or call me on a weekly basis and they say do you know what she did or is doing?? I listen and say well that is her she's grown woman and non of my buisness. I could sit here and tell you story after story of what she has done but Lord I'd be here for ever.
    Yes to her I will always be the other woman I know but dont care. When they were together right before they split she worked right accross the road from where we worked. You could see her plainly. Imagine seeing your wife in another parking lot with another man one day and another woman a few days later. Yes a woman. She was there about a month before getting fired. She will only harm herself in the end. I just want to make sure she doesnt take my family down with her. I really wish she was different. We dont have to get a long and speak. But it would be nice not to have to worry about what she is up to all the time.
    Went to Lawyer we are pressing harrasment charges and can possibley get a restraining order. Hubby already has one on her. I guess well see. But this has made me more alert and from now on I will be with my kids as much as possible to make sure last weeks problems dont arise again. Like I said dont have to say anything just be there and pay attention.
    TOS, to tell you the truth. I wish our school was more like yours then I wouldnt have to worry so much.
    For everyone who wonders. I live in Tennessee.

• mistihayes
    16 years ago

I lived in Florida & went to eat lunch almost daily with my daughter. I did have to sign in. I also volunteered at Brittani's school & they never did a background check on me. I know the teachers were very good about asking anyone if they needed directions.
    I would alarm the teachers to this sick woman. I feel sorry for you Loridarlin. What a terrible position to be in. Some people are mentally unstable & she sounds like one. Don't trust her ever even if she plays nice. She sounds dangerous. Good job for getting legal advice!! Always take notes too on what she has done. It's good to have those journals in court.