SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugarland_girl

Did I do the right thing??

sugarland-girl
16 years ago

My SS, 9yrs old, tells me stories about his mom spanking him alot, slapping him in the face and yelling at him. His father and I don't beleive in spanking so of course I don't like hearing those things, but I understand that is her form of disapline and accept it. One day when he was at our house he wanted to go to his friends house for a couple of hours then they would drop him off at our house where his mother would pick him up later that afternoon. His friends mother came to the door and told me my SS would not get out of the car to come inside because he did not want to go back to his mothers house. My hubby was gone so I had to deal with this situation.: ( My SS just kept telling me he was scared of his mom that she was mean and he did not want her to pick him up. I finally got him out of the car and into our house. I called his father letting him know my concern that maybe she's taking his spankings too far and doing it too often. SS also said mother tells him to keep this stuff a secrect from dad and if he tells he'll get in MORE trouble and she'll spank his butt till it bleeds!! (that's what REALLY made me worry!!!) He came home and had a talk with his son and then talked to his mother about it. Of course she denied alot of things (saying that son makes up stories all the time both ways) but admitts she does spank him, but as a last resort and certainly NOT everyday. She says he has behavior problems when he is with her. (Even SS says he is bad for his mother but doesn't know why he can't behave when he's with her. It's just odd because he's soooo good for us and we rarely have any issues with him listening, doing chores or back talking.) So my husband gave his son a talk about behaving for his mother and then he wouldn't have to worry about getting spanked and yelled at, and left it as that.

After SS left I felt so bad and felt that she wasn't telling the truth about eveything. (She rarely does!!) I was seriously thinking about calling Child Protective Services because I just had a very bad feeling about this incident but I didn't want my husband to be furious with me for doing so. I just felt like SS refusing to get out of a car in fear of going home to his mother's was a very loud and obvious cry for help and my hubby really missed the ball on this one believing what his son's mother says and thinking his son was just exagerating the senario. I ended up not calling CPS but I still feel horrible about it because SS tells me about his mean mother everyother week.

Did I do the right thing? And if this happens again what should I do? I just feel sick over it when I think about it and this happend a couples days after Christmas!! What should I do????

Comments (21)