SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alienbox_gw

rescued orchid - did i do the right things

alienbox
13 years ago

I recently rescued an orchid one of my neighbors discarded in the refuse room of our NYC apartment building.

Think it was a Phalaenopsis variety -- it has five floppy rabbit ear shaped leaves and a single spike which was butterfly clipped to a stake. The blooms had all fallen off by the time I found it. The orchid was planted in bark mix, in a plastic cup, inside a broken clay pot. Looks like the kind you find at the checkout line at your local HD.

I set it in a north facing window -- I'm on a high floor with lots of light -- and it has showed no signs of, well, anything. I water it on a regular basis (around 1x per week) and the leaves are medium green but no new leaves or stalk have come.

On the spur of the moment I decided to repot it, as the roots were wildly growing out of it's plastic cup.

Following directions I saw on GW and other sites, I removed all the old bark medium, rinsed the roots, clipped a couple of short brown mushy roots and then trimmed the stalk all the way back to the base. I then filled a clean ceramic pot part way with Mosser Lee Forest Bark Soil Cover, stuffed the roots in and topped with more bark. I ran it under the tap for about 5 minutes and let drain.

Is there anything else I should do? Is this poor orchid going to make it?

Comments (3)