SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa11310

Did I do the right thing? I am so sad.

lisa11310
15 years ago

My 13 yr Akita mix was fine (I thought)Tuesday night when I went to bed. Wednesday morning I noticed she was pacing out in the back yard. Then I realized she was pacing and squatting every few minutes but nothing was comming out . I called the vet and they got her in within an hour. He did a rectal exam and said the she was a bit swolen and that he could feel a mass in or near her bladder. He gave her a shot (for swelling) and some meds (for infection)and told me to bring her back that evening. She did not improve, the pacing and squating continued but no urine was passed other than a drop or two here and there. When I took her back he said that her bladder was not full but that if she was not passing any urine it could rupture during the night. He suggested emergency sugery to explore the mass but given her age and other health problems there was a chance she may not make it through the sugery. I asked him repetedly if he was SURE this was not just a urinary tract infection. He said NO. I knew I was not going to put her through sugery and I was too afraid to bring he home for the night to see if she improved. Could her bladder really have ruptured in one night? I hope he gave me the correct information. 6:00 in the evening is a bad time to make a decision like that when the nearest emergency vet is an hour and 1/2 away. I would feel terrible if I put her down to soon, but I would have never forgiven myself if she did rupture and had to endure the pain for the time it took to get her to ER. I have been working from home for 3 years and she has been beside me all that time I cant stand not having her here. Can somebody tell me if there were other options?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths