SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Inspiration Pics/Ideas needed for teen DD's room (B&W, turquoise)

Valerie Noronha
13 years ago

DD (age 15) and I are going to do a mini makeover of her room this summer. DD and I don't exactly have the same taste and past attempts have been compromises between us two with neither liking the end result and current look is just a hodgepodge. She is also very messy and doesn't take care of her stuff--leaves clothes, books, etc. on the floor, tossed in the closet, etc. Her makeup gets everywhere and bedding gets stained with that as well as highlighters, pens since she'll sit on her bed and do homework. Since I don't think it's my job to cleanup after her, it's my hope that if we can get her room looking nice, perhaps she'll take more care to keep it that way. I would think she'd be embarrased to have her friends see it--but guess they don't care--she says her friends have messy rooms too. Long way of saying, I don't want to expend too much effort or money--unless her habits improve. Bedding needs to be simple and washable.

Here room is very small (9'x9' - smallest room in the house), all the furniture will stay the same, though I'll probably get some baskets to put in her bookshelf--to store her stuff and have it look a little less cluttered. Here are some before pics so you can see what we're working with:

We've agreed on the following color scheme: black & white bedding and turquoise walls. I told her she needs to stick with a cool color for her walls since her room gets the afternoon sun and she has hardwood floors. Actual selection of wall color is going to be a challenge again to find a shade we can agree on. She like a more vivid, saturated color which is why I suggested the B&W bedding--trying to avoid another case of overload. It's only paint right? I was thinking we could perhaps paint her ceiling a paler shade of the same instead of white--so as to make her room appear a little larger.

We like this look by PB teen: (except in white&black):

I'm a bit stymied what to do about the sheets--or which of the two bedding ensembles to recommend. The zebra duvet prob. would look better with darker walls, but the dots would be better at hiding stains. Should sheet coordinate like in the pic or we could do a solid turquoise sheet. DD likes black, but I think that may feel too hot or fade. I'm also considering white--which I can bleach if it gets stained.

Also like this valance and rod:

Or could just do some white sheers (prob. a hard sale in DD who likes color)

Given the above what are some good turquoise colors to consider (Benjamin Moore preferable)? She'd like a vibrant jewel color--but how dark can we go? Then, what color for ceiling? I'd so like to do a paler shade with some pops of turquoise color in baskets and pillows. I try to show her pics, but she has her own ideas and bottom line, it's room room. Any suggestions appreciated in letting her express her love for color without overdoing it or picking yet another compromise solution neither or us like. She's even mentioned redoing the racing stripe, but I feel it breaks up the room and makes it feel even smaller and suggest a more cohesive wall color (if she'd go paler I'd even put it on the ceiling). I think I need to back off on this and let her express herself--just wanted to give some background of suggestions I've alreay made. But, perhaps some inspiration pics may help sell her on the idea.

What about spray painting the folding bookcase black?

Also, need some ideas for bulletin boards for all her pics.

Comments (17)