SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

30 days in the life of a Fisher Paykel

mtnrdredux_gw
12 years ago

We moved in about 30 days ago. I chose FP dish drawers (DD24D6, $1000) because I think they're so cool and so much better than having that big door in the way!

I did a lot of GW research before i put them in. My sense was that, among FP drawer owners, the enamored only barely outnumbered the disaffected. As a result, I knew to be careful with the detergent and to pre rinse dishes. I also told my GC to make sure the installer had experience with FP. (they did not!)

Here is my take. I had an Akso for 8 years in my old kitchen. It was very quiet and I never had a service issue, except for the plastic strip on the controls wearing through in like, a year, and the jerks making me pay $80 for a new strip when they had to know that everyone had this problem. It cleaned very well.

For 7 months i was in a rental with a kitchenaid. It did not clean as well as Akso.

The FP drawers are noisier than Akso but less than KA. They clean better than KA but not as well as Akso.

I am ashamed to say, dear readers, that one thing I failed to do in my otherwise exhaustive kitchen research was to actually open up the FP drawers and look inside! I vaguely recalled claims that once you got used to it, it could fit as much as a regular d/w.

I don't care what anyone says, these babies are small. Many things I used to put in a d/w I cannot (some trays, plastic cutting boards, even one set of dinner plates!). Figuring out the best way to load takes an engineering degree. To try to get everything in, you end up loading and reloading, like packing a VW trunk for a kid going away to college. They say it can take dishes up to a certain size, but at that size you can ONLY put dishes in.

I'd recommend this, odd as it sounds. Next time you do a load of dishes, pack them up in a box when they are clean. Then drive to your appliance store and try to fit them in the FP.

However, I love the drawer concept. It is so nice to load! I just need to sell some of my children on ebay and downsize our d/w loads. Would I get it again? Yes.

PS

Should I have put in two sets? I didn't because it just seems so excessive and because they would ruin my cabinet symmetery. But then id have four drawers? How do you decide what goes where? Seems odd.

Comments (34)