SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laguna92607

Viking - Worth It?

Laguna92607
13 years ago

Are Viking appliances worth the added cost in the long run? I was taking a look in a local appliance store today and (of course) I was drawn towards the higher end products, Viking being my favorite.

We are planning to remodel our kitchen in the near future with all new cabinetry, thicker granite, mosaic tile backsplash, appliances, and knock out the existing pantry, which is inconveniently located in the corner of our already small kitchen, to have more workspace around the stove.

If we were to get a lower-end/mid-range appliance package, it would include a slide-in gas range with convection oven, new over the range microwave, counter depth fridge (french door style with ice maker/water dispenser), and dishwasher with hidden controls, all stainless.

If we were to go high-end with Viking appliances, we are looking at the Designer series. If we choose to go this route, we would like a gas cook top with a built in oven underneath (picture in the following link) as well as one to the side. The Viking Designer french door fridge has an interior water dispenser and the ice maker is somewhat inconvenient, located in the pull out freezer.

Either way, we would be getting a "tall" Fisher-Paykel Double DishDrawer.

The Viking/high end route would probably cost $6,000-10,000 more than the middle of the road GE Profile, Maytag, etc.

Is there any advantage to getting the Viking package vs. mid-range brands besides $$ savings? We will probably stay in this house for another 5-10 years, but even so, do the higher end appliances boost resale value that much?

There is so much to think about... Thanks for any advice you can offer!! :)

~Laguna

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1420202}}

Comments (27)