SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newstepmom

Calling it quits

newstepmom
16 years ago

Greetings and Happy New Year.

I am ready to call it quits on my marriage. My teenage SKIDs are out of control and DH fails to discipline them. I realize this isn't personal - they are rude to their parents, too. Any woman who married their father would be treated this way. Nonetheless, I feel unsafe in my own home.

I filed for a separation. DH is distraught and says he will do ANYTHING to stay married, including getting a family place. (Right now we see the kids in the homes I had before the marriage and I continue to pay for them on my own.)

Ironically, two of the SKIDs told me that they hope their father and I are able to work out our issues and remain married.

I think there are two major problems:

1. DH is out of touch with my feelings. When I told him how frustrated and upset I was about the visitation, and his lack of supervision and guidance of his children, he basically dug in his heels. His attitude was, you married me, you married the family.

2. The family dynamics are such that I am the family scapegoat. The SKIDs are angry, understandably, at their parents. DH isn't at all supportive and sometimes blames me for their misbehavior.

I realize that DH is narcissistic, and changing that is not something that is going to be easy for him. Counseling will take years to work, and I am not sure that I can hold out for that long.

Does anyone see a potential solution? I really don't.

Comments (5)