SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
66and76

Using the space we need after retirement

66and76
14 years ago

With the children married and gone, we decided to make use of the spaces in our home to suit our daily lives. We gutted, rebuilt, and enlarged our kitchen. We did everything ourselves,except for the electrical work and granite installation. Now, we use a small, 42" table in the kitchen for meals. It is so cozy for two to four people. After donating the formal dining table (used twice a year) to a womens' shelter, we turned the large dining room into a den for reading and watching TV. It is much more comfortable than our more formal living room. The wide central hall is now home to our china cabinet and buffet. This week, DH and I are turning our back hall area into a combination dinner party/crafts room. We built a farm table, which can seat 8 people. Very easy to do! When covered with an oil cloth, I will have a fantastic crafts/painting studio of my very own. It just seemed a shame to walk through unused areas in our house. Have any of you changed the traditional uses of rooms in your homes?

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

Comments (19)