SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
williamsem

Help me pick: Brother xl3750 or Singer 4423?

williamsem
10 years ago

I'd like to get into some sewing projects, I did some sewing years ago in 4H but nothing since. I imagine mostly hemming my pants, but possibly other projects like pillow covers, simple curtains, maybe a tote bag, not really sure, but I'm the type that once I decide I want to do something, it will happen no matter how ill advised or above my skill level.

For now, I'd like to get a manual machine with a decent amount of flexibility. I'd prefer to avoid the computerized models since it will likely sit unused for long periods, and I don't trust the electronics to hold up for many years.

The two models I'm considering at the moment are the Brother xl3750 and the Singer 4423. I like the Singer because it is a heavy duty model with metal inside parts. I'd have to buy a seperate accessory kit to get the variety of options offered with the Brother. The Brother has more stiches and comes with a lot more accessory feet, but is not a heavy duty model (though reviews note it can sew canvas, hem denim, and handle multiple layers of fleece).

Can anyone offer an opinion? I'm hearing mixed things about Singer quality since they were bought out, so I'm a little hesitent, but I don't mind spending the extra money on the metal interior if it has a significant advantage. In this price range, I'm not sure if it makes much of a difference.

I know many on this forum advocate for finding older models as they are reliable and can sew all day with no problems. But I don't want to jump in with that type of investment until I know I'll stick with this. I'm certainly open to upgrading when the time comes.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting