SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoboken_gw

OK, I know that it would be best if she picked it out, but..

18 years ago

My girlfriend would really like to get a sewing machine and I know that it would be best if I brought her along to pick it out. My fear is that if she does, she'll be too conscious of the price and may not make the right decision because of price. (I know...I can hear the comments...lol) The problem is that, although she will be a beginner, I want her to have a machine that will be meet her needs for a while and can probably spend up to $400 or so (maybe more if a little extra went a long way). I want to get her the best/right machine for the money. She wants to use it for clothing and home decoration/furnishing.

A couple of questions. 1) I've read a number of posts about the benefits of buying from a local sewing shop, does anyone know of a good shop here in the norther NJ/NYC area (understanding that I'll probably go to sears if I buy a Kenmore)? 2) If you think I should go with a used machine, do these shops typically sell quality used ones or do you need to find them somewhere else? 3) What make/models would you recommend new? or if I can find one used?

Do you still think that I'm crazy and that I should just bring her to a good shop (hopefully one recommended by one of you)?

I really appreciate your help. Dave

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions