SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sai_in_id

Looking for a new Sewing Machine

sai_in_id
16 years ago

My husband offered to buy me a new sewing machine for christmas. We've been looking at the combo units and just can't decide what to get. After reading a lot of info on the embroidery forum, I think I've been officially scared away from those. Everyone mentions the hobby is SOOO expensive and I do live on a budget. There also seems to be loads of problems anywhere from software program to getting the design to stitch out nice on the fabric.

My question: Does anyone have any suggestions on a good quality sewing machine for a couple hundred bucks? I'm smitten by all the fancy stitches that I've seen on the combos (ie. Brother SE270D, Singer CE-150). I was looking at spending $500 for the combo. I sew a variety of things: clothes, quilts, accessories, etc. The feather stitch has always been a must for binding the quilts.

All my research was done on the combo units and I am just too tired to start researching over (I've spent 2+ weeks on this!), and Christmas is VERY SOON. :) I haven't touched my genealogy in 3 weeks, which is amazing (obsession #1)! So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to read them. I currently own a Necchi 522 that's almost 30 years old.

Thanks for the advice,

Susan

Comments (21)