SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kittykat8675309

new to sewing, excited, but poor stitch from machine

kittykat8675309
18 years ago

Hi! I am new to sewing. In fact, I got my very first sewing machine last week for my birthday. It's not very expensive at all, it is just a small hand sewing machine. they are very cheap but I would rather if I fail, that I fail on a cheap sewing machine instead of a very expensive one. Hopefully, I will become more apt at sewing and upgrade soon.

In the meantime, I have just been practicing on some clearanced fabric so that I can learn how to sew seams and such. The problem is, I am not sure if I am doing it right. The directions were very scant, so how do I know if my stiches are good? Right now one side of my stitch looks normal (at least to me), but the other side looks like a straight line with little hoops over it. is that normal?? if not, what do I do to fix it?? I think my bobbins are correct, because the thing sews properly, but how does a good stich look?

Also, I am having problems keeping the "seam" in a straight line. I have many questions about sewing but no one to ask them to, so if I can get past the stitch issue, I have many more questions. Like how fast to pull the fabric through and such. ANyway, thanks for your help and your time!

-Kat

Comments (17)