SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19777916

my recommendation for a casual sewing machine

User
18 years ago

Hi: Four days ago, I had a sewing machine emergency. My Elna was in the shop for service - which takes a month. My back-up Kenmore machine died in the middle of a satin & silk type polyblend robe project. I went to Walmart and asked the sewing department manager what machine I should try as a back-up machine replacement - stressing inexpensive and that I would probably return three machines after testing them, but keeping the one I liked the best.

She recommended the Brother XL3500. ($149.97) It comes with a sewing platform, walking foot and embroidery foot. It is a neat (but ugly) machine. I have used it for four solid days and am really impressed with all the features. Please understand that it would never hold up to heavy sewing, but for a casual sewer it would be great.

I haven't tried any of the other cheap machines as yet, but I'm going to tell my daughter (who sews at least once a year :)) that it would be great for her. Since the holiday gift season is approaching, I thought some of you might like to know my thoughts. By the way, I do not work for Walmart or Brother or anyone else for that matter - I'm retired - Yeaah...Thank you Lord for retirement.

Comments (4)