SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cotehele_gw

Please Recommend a Sewing Machine

cotehele
14 years ago

Those of you that sew, could you recommend a good sewing basic machine? I want to make curtains and table linens, and alter or repair clothing. The two previous machines have been Singer. One grandmother's and an inexpensive machine from a big box store. They both had the same problem. The bobbin thread was so loose it would not sew a tight seam. The repair shop couldn't find anything wrong. I'd bring the machine home and it would do the same darn thing without me changing anything. I got so frustrated I gave them away.

Thanks,

Judy

Comments (25)

• doucanoe
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Judy, I don't have a machine at the moment, bt would like to get one again.

I have always had good luck with Singer. My old one lasted over 25 years!

A while back I found a White at a garage sale. It was a cabinet model, and although the machine was very nice, I hated the fact that it was in a cabinet so I sold it.

I have looked at the newer models and they are so lightweight because they are all made of plastic!

I think when I am ready for another machine I'll look for another used Singer portable.

I don't sew much anymore but I used to sew everything! I made my husband's shirts, my kids' school clothes, placemats, curtains, tote bags...you name it!

Linda

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

You didn't mention what your budget is for this purchase? I have 5 machines, 3 old Singers (all pre-1969), a modern Viking electronic machine, and a Brother serger. I'm really happy with all these machines and don't plan to get another one for some time.

Good machines on the market now: Viking, Bernina, Janome, Baby Lock, Juki, and Pfaff - these are the ones I'm most familiar with - there may be other brands. Go to a sewing machine retailer and tell them what you plan to do with a machine. Don't let them talk you into lots of bells/whistles if that is not what you need. Ask about used machines that have been reconditioned and are in good working order. Ask to "test drive" any machine they have for sale. Find one that feels good to you!

Ask if the shop gives basic free sewing classes. If they don't, ask if you can have a private class on any machine you might buy from them so you can understand how the machine operates. If they won't be helpful to you, go elsewhere.

Don't be prejudiced against a used machine! You may get a better deal on a gently used machine that wasn't used much because the owner wanted to trade up. Plan to spend a little more than $99.99 from a big box store and you won't be so disappointed.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Teresa

• Related Discussions

Sewing machine recommendations

Q

Comments (5)
    I have a Brother (low end - I think there's something wrong with the bobbin thingy) that's not all that old and two old Kenmores (very old - one won't do long stitches and the other is currently not working at all). I'm using the bobbins that came with them and I have no idea on the needles (my MIL gave me the Brother and loaned me the other two and I'm using the needles that she sent with the Kenmores). It might be worth it to fix one of them, but I'm really short on time. I only get to sew for about two hours a night and I only have a week to get a shirt, a pair of pants, a vest and boot covers done (oh, and did I mention I'm pretty much a beginner, so it takes me a little longer than it would an experience sewer.) I think I'm heading out today to visit a dealership or two to figure something out. Thanks so much for your help!
    ...See More

Sewing Machine Recommendation?

Q

Comments (3)
    It isn't always the brand of sewing machine. Its just that the cheaper, newer ones are not meant to last very long. Find a reputable dealer, one that will give you a warranty on a older, used, simple straight stitch, zig zag sewing machine. Those 15, 20 year old machines that are metal, a bit heavy to pick up, will outlast most of the 300 dollar ones today. I have seen some Older Pfaffs 360's, Older White, Viking (6010's),Necchi and Singers still sewing after 30 years. They can handle the size 18 needle and stitch denium. Alot of the better,older ones will have a front loading bobbin. The " drop-in bobbin"" ones are "medium" duty and have abit of trouble with the heavier fabrics. All of these have metal hooks and used metal bobbins. Plastic bobbins "chip" and cause stitching problems. Hope you find something!!
    ...See More

Sewing Machine Recommendation

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm a Bernina girl for the past 18 years. Even my little 230 sews Sunbrella marine without an issue. The only problem is that the heavy outdoor thread comes on cones, which don't work on the machine. I ended up winding onto bobbins. You could also set up some sort of thread holder.
    ...See More

sewing machine cart recommendations?

Q

Comments (5)
    It's a Kenmore 158-330 from 1969. You can guess by that fact that I am not serious about my sewing but it's well-behaved and easy to use. Some of the old cabinets are acceptable for functional furniture--the Singers tend to be a bit nicer than the Kenmores, I noticed. Cabinets from this era aren't quite as fancy as the older ones but that just makes them easier to refinish. I'll keep an eye on Craigslist--there's currently a very cool sewing armoire from the 70s for sale. So functional! So ugly. I'm sure it was very on trend in the 70s...and I don't have a place for it. If this were local to me I'd be very tempted. A parts donor and a table! (and a demonstration on how the machine fits into the table). : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Kenmore-No-158-330-Sewing-Machine-w-Table-Manual-Footswitch-566-102-/164227592562 That's what my machine would look like if it were tired and dirty looking. :)
    ...See More
  • Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

I loved my old mint green cast iron Singer...and now I have a White Jeans Machine.. HATE IT!! I do have a mid price Singer Serger that I love..

I would like to get a new machine..I haven't decided what yet. Maybe if I take mine in for service I'll like it again?? Or maybe she has something that I'll like better? LOL

• lindac
    14 years ago

I have a Singer Featherweight Portable that I bought at a garage sale easily 40 years ago. It's a workhorse. I don't sew much, but it makes curtains, Halloween costumes and it used to make an occasional skirt for a teenager or sew a hem in jeans.
    It's got almost no bells and whistles, just a good trouble free machine.
    But alas, they have become collectors items anda re likely no longer afforadble.
    But any used old (pre plastic cams and gears) singer will do you well, and that should cost you under $50.
    Linda c

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

If you don't hold the threads behind the needle when you start to sew it will make a mess under neath. I was taught by a teacher in high school many years ago to hold the thread tails and turn the wheel slowly to make 2 or three stitches before applying the power. By doing that it locks the thread into the material. If your upper tension is loose your top thread will be pulled down to the back side . If the bobbin tension is loose the bobbin thread gets pulled to the top of the material along the seam line. If you Google bobbin thread tension, you will see what a perfect tension should look like.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

I seem to remember there was a screw in the bobbin case that you turned to adjust the tension on the bobbin thread.
    And yes the top thread tension should be tight enough so that it brings the bobbin thread up to the middle.

I sewed all mine and the girls' clothes with a Singer and then moved to a Brother to make their grown up silk and velvet party dresses. But I also haven't used a machine for a long time.

SharonCb

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

You are correct about the bottom tension screw, Sharon, but once the tension is set by a trained repairman or at the factory, it is best not to touch that tension at all. I've never had to adjust the bobbin tension on any of my machines once they were set.

Teresa

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

I used to adjust top and bobbin tensions according to the thickness of the material or type of thread I was using if it didn't produce a balanced seam. Maybe that was an old-fashioned thing to do and perhaps newer machines are different. The Singer even came with a tiny screwdriver just for adjusting the bobbin screw.

I never had to have adjustments or repairs done professionally on the Singer, but the Brother did have a repair done years ago for something that wore out in the motor.

Talking about it almost makes me want to start sewing again. LOL. :-)

SharonCb

• lindac
    14 years ago

I also adjusted the tension on the bobbin as well as the tension on the top thread.
    Your grandmother's old Singer should have worked fine....perhaps you forgot to lower the presser foot.
    Linda C

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I tried everything to adjust the thread tension. The machines worked for a bit and then the thread on the underside of the fabric bunched up. Adjusting the tension did not help. I do have a treadle machine.

I do not have a budget. I want a good reliable machine with basic features. I had not thought about a reconditioned machine. I want to try that first.

Thanks for your help. This reply is from my phone. Sorry not to respond to your individual posts.

Judy

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

It still sounds like you are not holding the thread tails when starting to sew. You must pull the thread tails behind the needle and hang on to them as you turn the wheel to lower the needle by hand for 2-3 stitches to lock the thread into the fabric. If you are doing that the thread mess should be solved. If not then something may be out of order in the bobbin and thread take up shuttle in the bobbin.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry I neglected to refer to your previous post. It has been 10 years or so since I've had a sewing machine. But, yes, I have always held the thread tails when beginning the stitching. Once the sewing machine was warmed up, so to speak, the thread on the underside of the stitching made big loops between the stitches. I tried various presser feet and needles for the particular type of fabric as well as adjusting the thread tension. I never could restore the proper stitching. I just don't want that kind of experience with another machine. I will find a shop that specializes in sewing machines and see how that goes. At least if the machine is not working properly, there will be a place to go for help.

• partst
    14 years ago

I have several machines, all old Singers, and have only had a problem once with the tension. My then 3 year old DGS decides to see what would happen if he turned every knob and handle on the machine. LOL I took it in and had everything adjusted and havent had a problem since. My mom had us making our own clothes by the time we were 9 or 10 and I have never held onto the thread when starting to stitch I just pull it back from the needle and let go. I do know if you put the bobbin in backward it will cause a problem with the stitch. The bobbin should go in counter clockwise. If you lay the bobbin flat and pull the thread the bobbin should turn counter clockwise not clockwise at least that what I was taught. And once set I have never adjusted the tension on any machine I have adjusted the pressure food depending on the fabric but never the tension.

I would look at a repair shop to find a good machine that someone has gone through although the best machine I have I found at a garage sale for 10 dollars. I love my featherweight but really like a machine in a cabinet and the German Singer from the garage sate fit into an antique cabinet I already had. You could always have your treadle machine motorized I did that with my grandmothers and it didnÂt cost much. I donÂt know anyone who has a new machine that likes them if they learned to sew on one of the old ones.

Linda I didnÂt realize the featherweight was a sought after item maybe I should look into selling it thanks for the heads up. I tried to give it to my DD but she has no interest in learning to sew probably because she can always get me to do it for her.

Claudia

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

I love my Bernina. I got it cause I got into making quilt tops. It's a great machine.

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

I have always loved my Singers. The older they are the better and you can find old ones if you look. Just don't ever buy a New Home. And like Teresa said, don't let them talk you into bells and whistles you don't need.

• vacuumfreak
    14 years ago

Hi, Judy. Sewing machines are near and dear to me :o) Sewing machines are fun! There's nothing quite as pleasant to me as hearing a sewing machine humming along (I like the sound of typing too :o) Of course I'm no expert. I have more experience with the machines themselves as appliances than I do with actually making something on them. I mean I've made pillows, pin cushions, fixed clothes, and am now sewing squares together that might some day form a quilt, but for me sewing is more about interacting with the machine than producing something pretty. I had Home Ec all three years of middle school, sewed a little on sewing machines with grandmas, and sold them at Sears for a couple years (though truth be told, I was really there for the vacuums, same department), so that's where my experience comes from.

I personally have two sewing machines. They are both Brothers. One is a beautiful all metal green antique from the 50's. Very similar to the old black metal Singers. It is a true workhorse and work of art. A sweet lady from Tampa who restores machines with her husband sold it to me for 50 dollars. She has since moved to NC, so hopefully the machine never needs more than oiling. It's mint and I wouldn't trust it anyone else. Anyway, the old ones are nice, but they aren't versatile. I needed a zig zag (thought I might want to get into applique) at least. I saw a demo of the Brother PC 420 on HSN and when I saw all of its features, I had to have it. It was pricey, especially for the little bit of sewing I do (add another zero to what I paid for the antique)... but I justified it because it was a 26 birthday present to myself. Plus, I'm pretty thrifty, I don't have a big apartment, I own my car, I don't even have cable, so I tend to spoil myself with appliances since they are my passion :o) Well, the PC 420 is computerized and it has automatic needle up down, automatic push button thread slicer, throttle control, knee operated presser foot lifter, a needle threader that actually works EVERY TIME, start stop button... I could go on and on. It's a dream to sew on and I haven't touched the antique since I got the modern one in September (OK, I wiped the dust off of it once, but that doesn't count). It also came with a hard case, which will be nice when I start taking it to class. The included walking foot and free motion foot were wonderful additions to the package as well. Lots of sewing machine snobs snub Brother, but I love both of mine. I don't think a sewing machine must have a certain name brand printed on it and a HUGE mark up for dealers just to be good! Many dealers sell Baby Lock machines which are made by Brother, but say Brother is garbage even though the machines are exact clones. I had another Brother from the early 90's and it was great as well. Until the accident (note to self, do not trip over the ironing board while carrying a plastic sewing machine and expect it to survive... bad bad idea). So, that's my story and where the foundation from where my experience comes... now to address your post!

Firstly, it is WONDERFUL that you don't have a budget! That means you aren't limited. So many people want a machine that has all the features and will last forever for 99 dollars. I remember this from my experience at Sears, and I'm sure it still holds true today. It just ain't gonna happen! You just seem to want a reliable simple machine that will do the job well, so you can spend money on quality instead of features which is a good thing. I'd say to go to dealers first, but also try Sears. Their Kenmore machines are made by Janome and that is a very well respected brand. They are easy to use and sew very well. One of the features I appreciated when coming from an older machine to a more modern on as you might be doing is the built in thread slicer... even basic modern machines while they may not have the electronic thread slicer of high end electronic models, they do have a razor built on to the side that you can just draw the threads through to cut them. It's very handy to not have to pick up the shears every time you need to cut the threads. Another thing was the horizontal drop in bobbin with clear cover... No more bobbin case to fiddle with, and you can always see when you are running out of bottom thread. That didn't stop me from sewing half a pillow with no bobbin thread the other night, but I digress. Plus the silly thing doesn't fall through the table and land on your feet if you don't have it snapped in correctly! Many new machines don't even require you to draw the bobbin thread up before starting sewing! A lot of people like new machines because they have trouble threading needles and want that automatic needle threader. Be careful with that! Some needle threader systems are AWFUL. They require you to do a two handed operation where you have to pull the threader down then twist it forward... then draw the thread taut across three guides and a hook and finally release everything. If you are lucky the needle will be threaded. Those types of systems rarely work well, and the user often resorts to threading the needle manually because it's easier. Plus, the hook that grabs the needle on those machines often bends to one side or the other and no longer goes through the eye of the needle. A superior system is the one like my Brother has... you draw thread through a guide and just push straight down on a lever. One touch operation and it's threaded perfectly every time. I don't even know how it works... it happens too fast the the naked eye to see. Magic I guess! Also, newer machines are a lot easier to declutch for bobbin winding than their older ancestors.

If you go to HSN.com and type in sewing machine, Darlene Cahill has quite a few presentations of machines that are interesting. She only does Brothers and Singers, and while they may no longer be the epitome of quality, the videos could still give you an idea of some features you might enjoy on your next machine. Some dealers will tell you that only their brand is the best and you must buy that brand (quite often it's Bernina, Pfaff, or Husqvarna... yes, great, but not the be all end all) or you have an inferior product. For that reason, I'd recommend to check several dealers and shop around a little.

I've heard this advice given to others and I think that it is good:: "Even though you think you only want to do something simple, buy a little "more machine" than you think you need. Years to come, you will appreciate all it has to offer and you may even grow into it and find that it's inspired you to do things you hadn't even planned on."

It's hard to tell someone which sewing machine to buy... you have to test drive them just like a car. Please do let us know what you end up with, and good luck searching. Have fun!

By the way (thought I was done...)

Judy, I also respond from my phone a lot. Glad someone else does too!

LindaC.... yes Featherweights are pricey now. The cheapest I've seen one for was about 400 dollars! Very cute though! The lady who sold me my Brother had a Featherweight for 200 dollars... I didn't have the money at the time, but really that was a good price.

Oh yeah, I've never hold the thread tails when starting to sew. I just draw them through the the gap in the presser foot and make sure they are in the back. Haven't had a problem yet!

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

Very good advice, Bobby! You do seem to know and love your machines! I'm proud to see you are taking up quilting, too.

Judy, the large loops coming off on the bottom of the stitching could have been caused by the machine not being threaded correctly. While many machines are threaded similarly, it's very important to learn to thread your machine correctly the first time and every time. Some machines thread from right to left, others from left to right and some from front to back.

Re: holding the thread tails when starting to sew, yes you can get the dreaded "thread nest" if the threads get tangled up when starting, but I think this can be avoided if you pull off several inches of thread and have it extending back instead of cutting too short after stopping your stitching. There has to be enough thread when the take-up arm rises at the start of sewing so the thread doesn't pull out of the needle eye.

Teresa

• Lars
    14 years ago

Viking is now called Husqvarna, which is what I have. I do NOT recommend getting a computerized machine because when they break down, it costs more to fix them than they are worth. The regular machines tend not to break down, but if they do, they are very easy to repair.

I wanted a Bernina, but they cost more than twice what the Husqvarna cost (about $750 when I bought it 10 years ago). I do a lot of sewing, especially with knit fabrics, and the Husqvarna had the most knit stitches and the fewest stitches that I would never use. It also does very good buttonholes.

I haven't shopped for sewing machines in the past ten years because the one I have works perfectly, but it might not still be available. I'm not even sure if Bernina makes the non-computerized versions, but if you can find a used one, that might be the way to go. Be sure the test drive whatevery you plan to buy and take many samples of fabric with you, including a variety of knits. Knits are some of the trickiest fabrics to sew, but I have gotten some very interesting results from them. I did a line of lycra T-shirts in 1989 that were pieced together with geometric shapes that were rather difficult to sew but fairly easy to sell, once they were made. I started doing that in the early 1980s and then stopped in 1985 when I went back to university. Before that, I was designing and making ladies' evening wear.

Lars

• fearlessem
    14 years ago

I have a Bernina 1008, which is an entirely mechanical machine -- no electronics. It works great, is a total workhorse, runs whisper quiet, and is easy to use. Looks like you can find a new one on ebay for around $500... The stores I looked at online didn't list prices.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

These quality brands of machines usually don't advertise their prices. Sounds like a Bernina 1008 might be a good model to find as a used machine. A Viking 450 would also be a good one to find used and tuned-up, of course. I still miss my 450 that belongs to my niece now.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bobby, I love reading your stories. The first sewing machine I remember was my mother's green Brother. I don't know what she did with it, but she bought a Singer that my Stepmother has now. Wish I had that Singer, sigh. Not having a budget doesn't mean I will spend lots of money for a machine, but I do want one that meets my needs. And, I am not in a hurry to buy one. The contractors finished our remodeling in November, but there is still more that I need to finish. The 1989 living room curtain fabric is still very usable. Scarlet is not making a dress, though, lol. I hope to remake them for an eventual bedroom, but the room will be at least a year to finish. Thanks for the video tip. I plan to watch those. The phone thing? I am addicted to GW's cooking and kitchen forums. I try to keep up even though I rarely respond by phone because I don't have a teenager's thumbs!

I appreciate everyone sharing experiences with personal sewing machines. You all seem to have a fondness and talent for sewing. I will try to keep the suggestions in mind, although following up with each machine or brand may be daunting!

• vacuumfreak
    14 years ago

That's true, Judy, you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good machine. But, it's nice not to have a limit hanging over your head. Have you given any thought to if you'd rather have a mechanical or electronic machine?

I used my old one last night for the first time in a while. I was piecing the squares together on the new machine and the old one looked so lonely and forsaken over in the corner I just had to give her some attention (do you know many sewers actually name their machines?). I knew I'd been away from it too long when I tried pressing the thread slice button (hint: the antique doesn't have such a button!). I actually joked about the possibility of that happening, and it did. Of course I also reach in the wrong place for the power switch when I switch vacuums sometimes :o) The old machine worked fine, even after sitting for so long. It seemed quieter and smoother than the new one, and much more precise.

Judy, have you heard of Epinions? I love the web site because you can read reviews from people who actually own the product... they have a lot of sewing machines to read reviews of. If you find one you want, you can click on the brand and the model and see what other people think about it. I'll post my review of my Brother just so you can see what I mean in case you aren't familiar with it. Of course I wrote the review the day after I got it, so I was a bit too enthusiastic.

Did your mom's machine look similar to this one? This is my antique. At the same time this one was made they had some higher end models that were green, but a lot more square and ugly in my opinion. Would have been from the early 50s though.

• cotehele
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bobby, thanks for the link. I will look when I have a chance. I've been online way to long this morning!

I am leaning toward a mechanical machine, but once I actually put hand to machine, I could change my mind.

My mother's brother was similar. I don't remember the gold emblem (?), but the last time I saw it was 45 years ago. The green finish sticks in my mind more than the design of the machine.

• daylilydayzed
    14 years ago

A Brother is a good choice and if you do not need the embroidery function, a basic sewing machine that does zig zag stitches and can be found for much less money than one with the embroidery functions. If you have a Walmart near you, you might be able to find one for less than $100.00.
    I currently have 3 machines, a Husquvarna that uses cams for the various stitches, still have all but one of the cams. The second machine is a a basic Brother that gets a lot of use for mending things and the last one is a Euro Pro that has lots of different feet for all the different things it can do.

• acdonna
    14 years ago

Hi,
    I just wanted to add my experience with buying sewing machines, since I recently caught the sewing bug.
    First machine - very simple-basic machine- since I wanted to just piece quilts. I didn't need much. Got better, started exploring different techniques with quilting, bought a used Bernina from my sister. She was upgrading. Love the machine. Fast forward - exploring more - upgraded my machine with another Bernina that has tons of bells and whistles. I don't think I will ever out grow this machine. Once you get the bug, you might want to expand your projects, like embroidering a nice border on the linens. I'm doing projects that I never thought I would even try when I first started.

My sister gave me great instructions on her machine, but I was still hesitant to take covers off, change tension, etc. When I bought my new machine it came with lessons from the dealer. I would not buy a new machine, unless it came with good lessons from the dealer. The lessons basically taught me that I wasn't going to "break" the machine and included proper machine maintenance.
    Good luck selecting a new machine. I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.
    Donna