SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gininmn

Introducing myself and seeking advice

gininmn
18 years ago

I've been a lurker here for several years but haven't posted. My name is Ginny and an I live in northern Minnesota [did you guess from my forum name? :>)]. Started sewing as a young girl and made many of my clothes in high school and college (to save money--was much cheaper to sew than buy back then). Afterwards, time became a bigger factor than money and I only sewed for special things (clothes when I couldn't find something suitable to buy, outdoor clothes and items, gifts, that sort of thing). I also crochet, knit and embroider a bit. I'm just trying out quilting as a hobby. I love to garden and canoe, fish, birdwatch, and hike (although my knees and other joints interfere somewhat). I retired about 1 1/2 years ago after 34 years as a research fisheries biologist. Now, I have more time for those hobbies as well as for volunteer work. I've been married to DH for 27 years, no children, currently no pets (although I'm planning to get a puppy).

I am hoping you can give me some suggestions on a good, basic, cheap sewing machine for my mother-in-law. My father-in-law died about a month ago after an extended illness and we and the other "kids" are concerned with helping her find activities she enjoys that can fill part of the void left. Except for one daughter, we all live a fair distance away. She has expressed interested in making simple blocks for donation to church charity quilts as she used to do. She hasn't done much in years and we discovered that her machine isn't working. None of us felt it would be worth cost to repair and want to get a new one. MIL is 82, has arthritis, has had both knees & shoulder joins replaced so her mobility is limited, and hands are somewhat shaky. She doesn't want a complicated machine, just one to do basic sewing. Of course, we want something that is reliable. We'd greatly appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

Ginny

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!