SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pugrolls

Introducing Myself and Seeking Kitchen Advice

pugrolls
14 years ago

Hello there! I stumbled upon this site when searching for various images of cabinets and counter tops and such. I've been lurking for a week or so and decided to introduce myself.

The hubs and I are working on remodeling our kitchen and adding a laundry room and expanded powder room. We started the project ourselves and have completed the demo and framing of the new laundry room/expanded powder room. We recently brought in an electrician and plumber who have finished the rough-in of those components in all three rooms. The next step is for our flooring guy to come in and lace in hard wood flooring in the kitchen space to match the adjoining family room/dining room area. (The kitchen used to have vinyl flooring and was separated from the family room/dining room by a wall. We knocked down the wall to create an open kitchen/family room/dining room area. The total square footage of this whole area is approximately 440 sq. feet). The kitchen area itself is a 12'x12' L shape with a 6'x4' island in the middle. The island will have a cooktop with a downdraft in it. (We've already installed the venting for the downdraft. Boy was that a pain!) For reference, here is our current kitchen layout design. (We have changed our minds on the cabinet and counter top colors, however).

The hubs and I have spent lots and lots (and lots) of time negotiating compromises with respect to the materials. I really wanted a white kitchen with black counters, but he is adamantly against it. If he had his way, we would go with ultra-modern lines and stainless steel and plastic everywhere. I'm not feeling that look. Our initial compromise was to go with warm wood and black counter tops, but we've since decided that we could find a better compromise. Now we're settled on these espresso cabinets. I was thinking about going with frosted glass doors, at least on the two large 36"x36" cabinets.

{{gwi:1664921}}

Choosing the "perfect" counter top is currently giving me fits. I love the look of marble, but DH doesn't trust the material for kitchen use. (He's a fantastic cook who is all about the red wine and Italian red sauces. He's also quite...um..."particular" about keeping his kitchen clean and would freak out about the first stain or etch in the marble. That said, he's also the type of cook to leave a post-party mess until the next morning). So that makes us lean toward granite. I really want to go with a light granite for contrast with the counters, but light granite still makes DH nervous. He wants gray (like caledonia or something) but I'm afraid that gray on espresso will make the kitchen too dark. (We live in the Pacific Northwest, so I'm very sensitive about avoiding a "cave kitchen" look. We just don't get enough sunshine to brighten up a kitchen like that). An easy middle ground, I think, would be a golden/light gray granite (such as Santa Celia), but I really prefer white/gray undertones rather than golden ones. I also think colors like Kashmir White and Giallo Ornamental are too yellowy for my taste.

I like many of the "bianco" named granites but haven't found many near my house except bianco antico, which I think looks AWESOME, but I'm afraid would be too busy given that our espresso cabinets already have kind-of blotchy coloring rather than solid -- perhaps we need a quieter granite? I suppose that a Quartz surface like CaesarStone wouldn't be out of the question either.

So, any thoughts on what counter tops would look good?

And hello! Nice to meet you! :)

Cheers,

PugRolls

Comments (25)