SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tdwh

Need advice

tdwh
15 years ago

Had a disagreement last night with my partner which seems to have carried on this morning and culminated in him leaving for work without saying goodbye to me or the kids....could do with some advice. He says I am too soft on my boys but they are both under 8 and I don't think it's a bad thing to cut them a bit of slack sometimes. He seems to be unable to let me get on and deal with the boys. I usually put them to bed and he doesn't like the fact that they try and engage me for as long as possible after the bedtime story by asking for extra kisses or asking questions. I just accept that this is part of the process of getting them to sleep. Last night he was in the bathroom next door when this happened and despite me being in the room he shouted out to tell the boys to be quiet and stop talking several times ( and they were talking to me). I said to him that I was there and could deal with it . He became defensive and said he was trying to help, that I didn't seem to realise that the boys were playing me. I told him that I was an adult and when I was dealing with the boys he shouldn't undermine me. Anyway, the argument descended and I encded up telling him that he didn't have a right to tell me what to do with my children. This was only because he had upset me by undermining me in front of the children. He sometimes talks to me like I am also a child; I would like the children to respect me and see that he also respects me. I am not sure what I can tell him to make him understand. Any comments on what happened ( negative or positive!) would be greatly appreciated. My partner and I love each other very much but this is difficult for both of us. The boys are mine from a previous relationship and my partner has a son who lives with his ex . Thanks!!

Comments (4)