SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camlan_gw

What do you think of beds in front of a window?

camlan
11 years ago

My bedroom has only one option for the bed, unless you place it in front of or overlapping a window. I don't particularly like the bed on that one wall, as the head of the bed is right next to the door into the room, and it sort of feels as if you are walking into the bed as you enter the room. And you have to walk all the way around the bed to get to the rest of the room. It's awkward. I'd rather move the bed to a different wall.

But that means putting the bed on a wall with a window. There are two walls that would work, both with an off-center window. Even without a headboard, the top of the mattress is about 8 inches above the window sill. I think I'd have to get a headboard, both for looks and to keep any drafts from the window away, especially during the winter. The placement of the windows does not give enough clear wall space to put the bed on, unless the bed is squished into the corner, which I'd rather not do.

So, two questions.

1) In general, what makes a bed in front of a window work? What makes it not work?

2) Given that both windows in the room are off-center in their respective walls, would you center the bed on the wall and just let part of the bed overlap the window, or would you center the bed on the window? (Or just keep the bed where it is and deal with the awkward layout?)

Comments (10)