SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

I'm having second thoughts about the kitchen/living room design

TxMarti
12 years ago

Ok, here's Summerfield's design, which I really love

{{gwi:1433723}}

In December, dd & I moved furniture in the living room to put up Christmas decorations, and I thought while the loveseat was on sliders, I'd see what the room would look like with the entry door moved to the center of the wall. What I found is that my furniture (which is average size) doesn't fit in the room the way it is pictured in the plan. The loveseat basically blocked the doorway, and the walking trail then either had to loop around the seating or cut through it.

So, I'm going to post some designs I tried, and a blank for you to play with if you want.

First up is the way it is right now, only with the wall opened up with seating bar area. I can't do an island because I would lose my wall ovens. To the left of the bar I put bookshelves, which can stay or go. I thought the bar looked funny sticking out without something on that side.

I also think there is too much space behind the seating but don't know what to do with that either. (The light gray line indicates where the center door would be, and there is an opening for the current doorway.)

{{!gwi}}

Then, with the current opening closed up with the light gray line, and a doorway in the center. Without splitting the seating, I could only fit in 3 chairs near the fireplace, and the game table in the other corner.

{{!gwi}}

Next, I eliminated the bar and seating, with just an open area above part of the cabinets, and the doorway where it is now. It gave more space but I still couldn't see a better furniture arrangement.

{{!gwi}}

I couldn't see a better arrangement when the door was in the center either. So then I just left both door possibilities open, and took out the furniture. Play with it and see what you can come up with, and if you think I'd be better off leaving the door where it is.

{{!gwi}}

Now I know everyone says to remodel the way you want to live, and we will be here for a few more years, BUT I don't want to make this house so odd that it won't sell then. My mother has done that with her house, and two of our neighbors have done that too. I want to make changes that are easy for ANYONE to live with, not just us.

Thanks!

Comments (46)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH