SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

Help me choose flooring, please....

gardenwebber
15 years ago

Our cabinets are due by the end of this month, and I am slightly panicked about our floor.

Here is the floorplan:

{{!gwi}}

Where it says "desk" there will be a breakfast table for now, but this side of the kitchen may serve different purposes through the years.

Here are my issues:

DH really wants something that will be the same throughout the entry/foyer, DR, and entire kitchen. He prefers the continuous look instead of being interrupted with thresholds and different pattersn. I am having a hard time finding a style/type of floor that will serve all three areas well.

We will have area rugs in the DR and on the nook side of the kitchen, so I don't know what will look the best. I am leaning towards laminate flooring, but I think that wood would look best with the area rugs, but too "fake" looking in laminate. Can you have a stone or tile pattern on laminate AND use area rugs? I have it stuck in my head that area rugs won't look proper over a stone or tile.

If we were to floor them separately, I may do some sort of tile in the entryway, some sort of wood in the DR, then perhaps sheet vinyl in the kitchen. But I am so confused...

Is there any help out there for me in making this decision? Would laminate be a good option? Will it hold up in the kitchen/entryway? Is there a pattern that would be best suited to "match" well in all three areas, plus look like it makes sense with area rugs? As I said, I always associate area rugs with wood flooring.

Please enlighten me. TIA

Comments (26)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!