SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jferrell333

Please help me with choosing flooring. I don’t love the carpet!

2 years ago

Comments (31)

• 2 years ago

My husband wants to paint the wall white, thoughts?

• 2 years ago

What are you thinking in lieu of the carpet? Which wall does he want to paint?

• Related Discussions

Help Me Choose..Don't know what to do?? See Pic

Q

Comments (6)
    Our kitchen/breakfast room is open to the great room. Separate DR at front of house. As you can sort of see in the pictures linked below (look at #2 and #3), the travertine is in the kitchen/breakfast room (also back hall to laundry room, and to pantry, powder room and sunroom). We have wood in the rest of the main level rooms and it begins at the kitchen/great room and our cedar posts. In your plan, it seems the best thing to do is stone in kitchen/dining room and change to wood at columns into great room. I would also keep stone to front door, into your pantry area and powder room. Here is a link that might be useful: my kitchen
    ...See More

36" range vs 48" rangetop- help me so I don't have to flip a coin

Q

Comments (11)
    I have a 36" rangetop and frequently use 4 burners, and sometime use 5. I've even used all 6! If you count having a pan of something from the ovens cooling on a burner or two, then I use 6 pretty regularly. Hey, that would be another "pro" for a cooking surface with more burners: using one or two as a cooling rack for oven items while still having other burners available for active cooking. If you choose rangetop and want that attractive 4 door look, I suggest having one wide drawer with the front made to look like two separate drawers. 24" wide drawers won't be effective for storing pots and pans. Wider is usually better.
    ...See More

Flooring - Replace carpet with ? so I don't have to use 1/4 round

Q

Comments (3)
    I'm not fond of quarter round either but you might need something to cover up small gaps at the edges and between the baseboard and the subfloor. Consider buying shoemold and staining it to match your newly finished base. It's generally about the same height as quarter round but not as wide. It's a vertically oriented molding so it should match the baseboard.
    ...See More

Please help me. I don't know what I am doing.

Q

Comments (18)
    I might look for a lamp that could move forward on the chest enough (without danger of toppling off) that the shade just hides that thermostat. Place it just a couple inches to the right of where it is now, or move the whole chest to the right a bit. It won't affect the functionality, esp if you use an LED bulb = no heat. Then look for a large piece of art, or a couple of stacked pieces to fill in over the right side of the chest, as shown above. Another idea is a gallery wall incorporating the thermostat: I would trade you those beautiful folded blankets for the star wars lego decor my grandson has decorated my house with! eta: I was just looking at it again and think Cyn's idea to switch the cabinets would work. You could then place the floor lamp in front of the thermostat and just ignore it.
    ...See More
  • 2 years ago

With all of the wood walls I would stay away from wood, or anything that looks like wood. Would you be open to tile? Large scale tile would look nice.

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

that wood wall is really cool and I would try to find a way to work with it. my recommendation would be to change out all flooring -- including the brown tile. charcoal slate or light color terrazzo would be period appropriate here.

then think about new furnishings -- modern, MCM, and/or scandanavian type furniture would make this space amazing.

but I understand that not everybody likes wood paneled walls or modern finishes. if you're sue you're changing the wall, then consider hardwood for the floors, something a shade or two lighter than what's on the ceiling. then drywall over the feature wall. not only will it preserve the wood if you're kind of nervous about changing it, but I've also been reading that it's actually way easier than painting over that type of paneling. plus it covers up the diagonal stripes if that look is not to your liking.

if you do like the diagonal lines and still want to paint, then sky's the limit. white would obviously brighten the space and look great. soft black would be a bold choice. or even something like a dark muted teal.

I love this home! can I take over? :)

• 2 years ago

Thank you soooo much! Yes, I think the wood must stay. :)

• 2 years ago

I think ILoveMod and I will have a bidding war. :) I’m in love with this place too. I think the only thing I would look at/research is painting the trim around the windows and baseboards, as well as making the white wall less stark against the warm wood. What year was this built?

jferrell333 thanked Liz H
  • 2 years ago

Depending upon if you want to keep the tile(?) part of the floor -

The tile clashes with the fireplace brick, to my eye, so I would reface the fireplace with the appropriate type of wallboard and choose a paint to finish - white like the other white in the room, or (IMO) it would be a great place to bring in a strong color - blue would be my choice.

As for the carpet, I would replace it with carpet that has a very low or flat pile/weave, either a solid color with a textured design, or a pattern with colors that work with but do not repeat the tones of the tile and wood.

• 2 years ago

this blog has a house similar to yours. notice how she kept the wood window framing and made it work. she did paint over paneled walls (at the loft) with soft black. but in general, the home style is like yours and could provide with some inspiration.

in your home, I'd be tempted to keep the fireplace bricks as is, but painting them white would also look good and would brighten the space. I suggest painting the surround with black heat safe spray paint.

by the way, I love the chandelier. is it original?

jferrell333 thanked User
  • 2 years ago

have you thought about getting 2 carpets?

have you thought about getting a carpet with a very strong design that would look fantastic standing on the second floor looking down?

I really admire the nerve of the person who designed the room with the wood patterns, the brick and the tile. It’s an amazing effect.

I‘m not saying any of these are perfect or even close to right, but I‘m wondering if it is possible to do something really wild and fun, Like this under the sofas

City CIT-2346 Coral Rug 8'10" x 12'3" · More Info

And maybe a solid under the dining table? (I think the piano belongs in the other window, on the other side of the fireplace.

jferrell333 thanked User
  • 2 years ago

Or pairing 2 rugs like these (different colors, as you like)

Momeni - Delhi DL-22 - 8ft 0in x 10ft 0in Black · More Info

Well Woven San Francisco Venice Modern Geometric Triangles Red Shag Area Rug · More Info

• 2 years ago

Two of these

Madeline MZ-03 Prism Area Rug by Loloi, 7'7"x10'5" · More Info

Or this pair

Nourison Le Reve Rectangle 7'9" x 9'9" Multicolor Area Rug 099446494399 · More Info

Nourison Le Reve LER05 Area Rug, Red Flame, 7'9" x 9'9" · More Info

;)

• PRO
    2 years ago

cool walls.

if you don't mind tile floors, I'd either do the terrazzo (they have a porcelain version that is cheaper than true terrazzo

Or, I'd do a black slate or black porcelain (24x24) tile. And, I'd paint that fireplace black!

kept it black, but brought in all light furniture w/texture and a lighter tile floor. did a nice woven rattan black shade over the dining table.

speaking of dining table, switched that up too

This is one of the look I envision w/your wood. (ignore the painted ceiling here)

Look how nice black and wood look together. I'd paint the non wood walls white with all white trim.

I think the wood trim around the windows is wood overkill, so I'd paint it white (or even black)

just to show you what white window/trim looks like w/wood/black slate floors.

This is from Tilebar and it's 24x24 charcoal porcelain tile that looks similar to a basalt tile

Basalt tile would be another choice. you could even reface your brick fireplace in a basalt tile. But painting it black (or white) would be preferable to what's there.

And that entry way brick tile? need I say more??

If you did the whole thing in the black tile, then you could add one of the rugs, or something else, like ital mover showed you.

If you like more of the natural design, bring in natural rug w/textures, pillows, throws, and soft colors. you could also do this as tile

similar style room w/a navy blue fireplace and natural wood mantle.

I think it looks great. much better than the red that's currently there. notice all of the decor and how it all works together.

you could also choose to do an overlay w/a stucco, cement or roman clay right over the brick. it would make it smooth like this:

you could also fir out the brick and do whatever other material you like

or, you could just limewash it

• 2 years ago

I don’t always oppose painting wood, but these are gorgeous and should stay! I second the call for terrazzo or large-scale hex. I would paint your brick black or match the walls.
    I like this a lot in the Dorsoduro color. It ties the wood tones while also giving some contrast.

https://www.ceramictileworksmn.com/le-veneziane/

• 2 years ago

Beautiful place. I would leave wood and brick as is.

Art, etc.

Maybe a couple of rugs.

• 2 years ago

Something to keep in mind about terrazzo (which I don’t think goes with your style house anyway) is that it is immensely difficult to find things dropped on a terrazzo floor the more mult-chip is is. I vowed never again after living with incredible looking terrazzo flooring for years. It is especially difficult if you accidentally break glass onto a terrazzo floor.

• 2 years ago

another alternative to a darker floor is polished concrete. whether you choose tile or something like this, soften it up in the living room and dining area with giant rugs.

• 2 years ago

ital mover -- normally I also don't like tile all throughout a home. too cold and hard. but I struggle to think of what other kind of flooring could look good in here with the giant wood wall?

maybe cork flooring tinted grey? is this even a thing? this photo below looks like tile, but would be so much softer and warmer. but I wonder if that looks good in real life?

• 2 years ago

I wouldn't like terrazzo. I have seen some lovely polished concrete floors - but I tend to steer away from such hard surfaces in a living area.

If the OP doesn't mind a hard surface, how about a ceramic tile - stone look or in a subtle color?

Cork is an interesting idea - if it is dark brown or gray rather than golden/orange.

Perhaps a very good quality, stone pattern (not wood look) vinyl tile?

• 2 years ago

I’m not as upset by the carpeted area a the owner. I‘d change the carpet. I’m not understanding the layout of the house or why the dining table is in there, so hard to say.

• 2 years ago

You all are so helpful! to give more details, the furniture is the previous owners, so all that will change. My heart is telling me square terra cotta color tile... am I crazy? Here are some more pictures, sorry they loaded blurry! I do like the original brick on the fireplace, it feels retro, which I like. The home was built in 1978. And the light fixture is original. I am intrigued by the cork idea, but I only really like the orangy cork style.

• 2 years ago

• 2 years ago

Here is the terra cotta tile inspo:

• 2 years ago

I would go with a charcoal or slate looking floor, not terra cotta. You don't have black walls so the effect is not going to be the same as your inspiration space.

I like the dark colors Beth suggested and the terrazzo. The 24x24 charcoal porcelain tile from Tilebar that looks similar to a basalt tile is a good choice. Gray work really well with wood tones. It gives you a neutral canvass to work with.

• 2 years ago

Are you thinking to rip out all the flooring and replace it with terracotta tiles? The crazy quilt pattern of the wood walls, plus the regularized patterning of the brick is not the same as what’s contrasting the square terracotta tiles in your inspiration photo. The walls are not busy in that photo, and the wood ceiling is very regular in its patter, there are large blocks of black and gray, not lots of color from the fireplace and walls.

Try thinking of your walls and fireplace as wallpaper you can’t remove, and then think how you want to deal with the floors, given how you want to furnish the space.

How do you plan to furnish the room? Are you bringing in furniture you already own or buying new?

• 2 years ago

I do feel that bringing in orange to the entire floor will be overload. You need something to balance both the wood tones and the brick tones, not add to them.

And, when I suggested tile, I confess that I was imagining larger scale than the terracotta you showed. I agree with ital mover that the smaller tiles, especially with those traditional fat grout lines, will be much too busy.

• PRO
    2 years ago

jferrel, that picture you posted, those are red quarry tiles, not terra cotta. Terra cotta is made from a smooth, potters clay material. red quarry is more like brick material.

If you want a terra cotta, then get something like Saltillo tile. It was used during that time frame that the house was built. Or, look into real terra cotta tiles. they make them in many colors and shapes.

• 2 years ago

What a great space, really nice. I would agree it needs a dark-ish stone floor against the woods and the white wall. I would not touch the fireplace brick at all, but use one of the dark bricks or the mortor color to work from for your floor color. This home below is a good example of a house with a few diffrent types and tones of wood, white wall and red brick and all of it grounded with concrete floor and is a similar color to the brick motor. But your house is much brighter than this one

New Moon Rising · More Info

• 2 years ago

OMG SWOON. thanks for posting more photos of your house. it's amazing!!!

red/orange tile is a bold choice for a room that already has so much warmth everywhere. your inspiration photo has two unpainted wood in the beams but no other warm elements. also it's way more of a 50s house. it's not a fair comparison.

you have some gorgeous mod details, but that home is still clearly 70s. the wrong choices could make it feel like it's more at the 1980s end of that decade (and I'm afraid orangey brown tile will take it there). based on your inspo pics, it seems like maybe you want to nudge the look a little closer to the 60s?

honestly, you might consider getting a local interior designer to help you out. Houzz is really helpful for inspiration, but when you need to make a big change to a challenging space, it could be worth it to to get a designer that is physically present. they can get a feel for the house IRL and create realistic renderings for you so you can be confident you're making the right choices. this incredible house deserves it.

• 2 years ago

still a 50s house, but this inspiration pics has warm wood everywhere and tan bricks, so at least it's a slightly closer comparison to your home. note the dark grey flooring. It compliments the warm tones.

also, not exactly a fair comparison but the exterior ceilings on this home remind me of your space. note how good the pale grey flooring looks next to it. (this is concrete, but you could get this look with tile of course.) also, they kept the wood window trim. with the right accents, wood trim can look modern, not dated. of course this home was taken in way more of a modern direction. not sure if that's what you're looking for, but even if you wanted to keep an older look, I really do love the way the grey cools down the wood.