SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luckygal1

The well designed house (plan)

luckygal
11 years ago

This topic was mentioned by stinky-gardener on the 7 deadly sins thread and I thought it deserved it's own thread. I know there are many knowledgeable people here who will have something to say about the essentials of the well designed house and houseplan.

Architecture is one of my favorite subjects and IMO many of the houses designed today do not fit people's lifestyles but are designed for lives people would like to have. Many are ostentatious and not to human scale which makes them uncomfortable to live in. There are often threads on home decor forums asking how to make a 600 square foot room with a 20-something foot ceiling cosy! Not easy to do.

Here are some of the mistakes IMO often made in modern architecture:

~wasted space such as in hallways and overly large rooms. With housing costs the way they are who can afford wasted space?

~sight lines such as what one sees from the front door - it shouldn't be the kitchen sink or a bathroom door

~how the house is sited on the lot - with many spec houses especially the house plan is not appropriate for the lot elevation and it seldom works well. I really dislike the developments where all the houses have huge garages facing the street. Looks as if it's a garage with a small house attached. I know the reasons but there must be a better way.

Become acquainted with the "golden ratio" which is a way of determining dimensions which are humanly pleasing. Can be applied to anything in a house - room sizes, windows, doors, even the house footprint itself.

One of my favorite books is "A Pattern Language by Christopher Alexander, et al" which studies design problems as they relate to human nature.

So what would your advise be to someone in the planning stages of a new home?

Comments (56)