SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dawnp_gw

Newer vs Old Machines

dawnp
14 years ago

I learned to sew on a Singer Slant-o-matic. It was my mother's an I had it until I was in my 20's. Then, I "upgraded" to one of those early Singer electronic machines in the mid 80's. It was a decent machine but I pretty much wore it out. So, I bought a new Bernina Activa 130 several years ago. I'm embarassed to say that it sat in my sewing room in the box for seven years. :( I just didn't take the time to learn the new machine. When my electronic singer finally gave out I pulled out the Bernina and headed to the nearest Bernina dealer to get some lessons. Well, the instructor said it sewed beautifully but after it was on during the lesson for a while, it kept cutting off and ended up needing a $350 repair. We are not sure whether the problem was due to sitting so long or not. I have it now but honestly, I am haveing some trouble adjusting to how different it is. You know old dog, new tricks...

Anyway, I'm feeling like this machine is going to be difficult to maintain. How often will it need a tune up? I don't sew all the time and am wondering if every time I go to sew there will be a problem with this machine.

I am seriously considering buying a twin of my original Singer 500a off of Ebay. Am I crazy?

Most of my sewing is home dec and I really just use basic stitches.

I am so sorry that I got rid of my Mother's machine in the 80's. I thought newer was better. Stupid. We live and learn.

Anyone have any comments or opinions?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County